Surgery Scheduling Specialist ~ Vanderbilt Eye Institute
Coordinates with patients, physicians and operating room to schedule surgeries with minimal guidance. Facilitates efficient workflow, supports appropriate use of technology, and fosters effective communication.
At the Vanderbilt Eye Institute, we strive to make life better for adults and children with eye conditions including glaucoma, vision loss and diseases of the retina. We treat patients from across Tennessee and the Southeast. Our doctors, researchers and support staff use the latest technologies and methods, and we conduct vital vision research that translates to better treatments.
The Vanderbilt Eye Institute is a leader in quality eye care. We offer the latest technologies and methods while conducting innovative research to improve patients' lives and prevent vision loss.
We work hard each day because your eyes are important to us.
The Vanderbilt Eye Institute attracts some of the most talented doctors and researchers in the country. Our subspecialty ophthalmologists have completed a minimum of one year of fellowship training after residency and are board eligible or board certified by the American Board of Ophthalmology.
Vanderbilt Eye Institute's award-winning research staff collaborates with our doctors as well as other Vanderbilt departments to pursue discoveries that enhance the vision of patients everywhere.
- This position is Monday – Friday (Days)
Travel to other clinics may be required
Click here to view how Vanderbilt Health employees celebrate the difference they make every day:
Discover Vanderbilt University Medical Center:
Located in Nashville, Tennessee, and operating at a global crossroads of teaching, discovery and patient care, VUMC is a community of individuals who come to work each day with the simple aim of changing the world. It is a place where your expertise will be valued, your knowledge expanded, and your abilities challenged. It is a place where your diversity — of culture, thinking, learning and leading — is sought and celebrated. It is a place where employees know they are part of something that is bigger than themselves, take exceptional pride in their work and never settle for what was good enough yesterday. Vanderbilt's mission is to advance health and wellness through preeminent programs in patient care, education, and research.
VUMC Recent Accomplishments:
Because we are committed to providing the best in patient care, education and research, we are proud of our recent accomplishments:
- US News & World Report: #1 Hospital in Tennessee, #1 Health Care Provider in Nashville, #1 Audiology (Bill Wilkerson Center), 12 adult and 10 pediatric clinical specialties ranked among the nation's best, #15 Education and Training
- Truven Health Analytics: among the top 50 cardiovascular hospitals in the U.S.
- Becker's Hospital Review: one of the "100 Greatest Hospitals in America"
- The Leapfrog Group: grade "A" in Hospital Safety Score
- National Institutes of Health: among the top 10 grant awardees for medical research in the US
- Magnet Recognition Program: Vanderbilt nurses are the only group honored in Tennessee
- Nashville Business Journal: Middle Tennessee's healthiest employer
- American Hospital Association: among the 100 "Most Wired" medical systems in the US
Achieve the Remarkable
Learn more about VUMC Nursing:
- Nursing Careers: http://
- Benefits: http://
- Our Nursing Philosophy: http://
- Our Nursing Leadership: http://
- Shared Governance: http://
- Education & Professional Development: http://
- Life In Nashville: http://
- VUMC Nursing: http://
- Coordinates surgery schedule with patient, physician and operating room, in support of surgery scheduling function.
- Verifies patient eligibility and coverage for procedure, obtain precertifications, and discuss potential financial obligations with patient.
- Obtains precertification or proper insurance approval prior to surgical procedures.
- Notifies and forwards paperwork for insurance certification to billing office and obtains additional paperwork if needed, for compliance.
- Monitors surgery schedule and ensures optimization of resources and workflow.
- The responsibilities listed are a general overview of the position and additional duties may be assigned.
PATIENT SCHEDULING (INTERMEDIATE):- The ability to coordinate and schedule patient appointments, surgeries and other office visits with various computer systems in the hospital or clinic.
SURGERY SCHEDULING (INTERMEDIATE):- The ability to coordinate and schedule surgeries within various computer systems in the hospital.
PATIENT DOCUMENTATION (INTERMEDIATE):- The ability to receive and record patient information.
MEDICAL TERMINOLOGY & DOCUMENTATION (INTERMEDIATE):- The ability to comprehend medical terminology and documentation in an office, or surgical setting.
- Organizational Impact: Performs non-routine tasks that significantly impact team's performance with minimal guidance.
- Problem Solving/ Complexity of work: Conducts research and analysis to solve some non-routine problems.
- Breadth of Knowledge: Applies broad job knowledge and has basic job skills in other areas.
- Team Interaction: Provides informal guidance and support to less experienced team members.
SUPPORTING COLLEAGUES (S3):
- Develops Self and Others: Continuously improves own skills by identifying development opportunities.
- Builds and Maintains Relationships : Seeks to understand colleagues' priorities, working styles and develops relationships across areas.
- Communicates Effectively: Openly shares information with others and communicates in a clear and courteous manner.
DELIVERING EXCELLENT SERVICES (S3):
- Serves Others with Compassion: Invests time to understand the problems, needs of others and how to provide excellent service.
- Solves Complex Problems: Seeks to understand issues, solves routine problems, and raises proper concerns to supervisors in a timely manner.
- Offers Meaningful Advice and Support: Listens carefully to understand the issues and provides accurate information and support.
ENSURING HIGH QUALITY (S3):
- Performs Excellent Work: Checks work quality before delivery and asks relevant questions to meet quality standards .
- Ensures Continuous Improvement: Shows eagerness to learn new knowledge, technologies, tools or systems and displays willingness to go above and beyond.
- Fulfills Safety and Regulatory Requirements: Demonstrates basic knowledge of conditions that affect safety and reports unsafe conditions to the appropriate person or department.
MANAGING RESOURCES EFFECTIVELY (S3):
- Demonstrates Accountability: Takes responsibility for completing assigned activities and thinks beyond standard approaches to provide high-quality work/service.
- Stewards Organizational Resources: Displays understanding of how personal actions will impact departmental resources.
- Makes Data Driven Decisions: Uses accurate information and good decision making to consistently achieve results on time and without error.
FOSTERING INNOVATION (S3):
- Generates New Ideas: Willingly proposes/accepts ideas or initiatives that will impact day-to-day operations by offering suggestions to enhance them.
- Applies Technology: Absorbs new technology quickly; understands when to utilize the appropriate tools and procedures to ensure proper course of action.
- Adapts to Change: Embraces change by keeping an open mind to changing plans and incorporates change instructions into own area of work.
High School Diploma or GED (or equivalent experience) and 2 years relevant experience.
Preferred Education, Skills, and experiences:
- Strong customer service experience is critical for this position
- Telephone etiquette
- Ability to get the job done and maintain a smooth clinic flow
- Team player
- Medical office / clinic experience highly desired
- Internal candidates preferred
- Familiar with Star Panel and EPIC
Physical Requirements/Strengths needed & Physical Demands:
- Light Work category requiring exertion up to 20 lbs. of force occasionally and uses negligible amounts of force to move objects.
- Occasional: Standing: Remaining on one's feet without moving.
- Occasional: Walking: Moving about on foot.
- Occasional: Lifting under 35 lbs: Raising and lowering objects under 35 lbs from one level to another
- Occasional: Carrying under 35 lbs: Transporting an object holding in hands, arms or shoulders, with help of coworkers or assistive device.
- Occasional: Push/Pull: Exerting force to move objects away from or toward.
- Occasional: Bending/Stooping: Trunk bending downward and forward by bending spine at waist requiring full use of lower extremities and back muscles
- Occasional: Reaching above shoulders: Extending arms in any direction above shoulders.
- Occasional: Reaching below shoulders: Extending arms in any direction below shoulders.
- Occasional: Handling: Seizing, holding, grasping, turning or otherwise working with hand or hands.
- Occasional: Bimanual Dexterity: Requiring the use of both hands.
- Frequent: Sitting: Remaining in seated position
- Frequent: Fingering: Picking, pinching, gripping, working primarily with fingers requiring fine manipulation.
- Continuous: Communication: Expressing or exchanging written/verbal/electronic information.
- Continuous: Auditory: Perceiving the variances of sounds, tones and pitches and able to focus on single source of auditory information
- Continuous: Vision: Clarity of near vision at 20 inches or less and far vision at 20 feet or more with depth perception, peripheral vision, color vision.
- Continuous: Feeling: Ability to perceive size, shape, temperature, texture by touch with fingertips.
- Customer Service Associate
- Graduate SEN Teaching Assistant (Emotional Behavioural Difficulties)
- Account Manager
- Timber Labourer
- Footwear Retail Sales Associate
- Part-Time Merchandiser (Walmart Account; Thurs – Sun; $14 - $16)
- Recovery Support Aide (RSA)
- Restaurant Team Member
- Community Manager
- General Service Technician
- Customer Service (CSM) 20hrs
- Customer Support Associate
- Medical Assistant | Cardiothoracic Surgery | Elkhart, Indiana
- Defence Digital Application Service Development Team - IT Service Manager
- Chemical Operator
- Front Desk Staff
- Cashier (Good4u Customer Care)
- Insurance and Financial Services Position - State Farm Agent Team Member
- VP Growth Solutions
- Forklift Operator
- Post Completions Assistant
- Interim Project Manager
- Clinical Applications Specialist (6922)
- Genetic Counselor - Children's Outpatient Services
- Web Developer
- Patient Service Representative PRN
- Project Manager
- Client Relationship Manager
- Customer Service Support Specialist
- Customer Service Specialist
- Patient Placement Specialist PRN Days
- Restaurant Team Member - Crew (1125 - Ardmore Main Line)
- Social Worker
- Food Server
- Specialist Administrator
- IT Business Partner, Commercial & Global Programme Management
- Mobile Security Office - Birmingham
- Dog Groomer
- Customer Service Representative
- Shuttering Carpenter
- Investment Risk Analyst
- Sales Associate
- Qualified Dental Nurse
- Barista and all rounder
- Guest Advocate (Cashier), General Merchandise, Inbound, Starbucks
- Retail Assistant Manager (Full-Time)
- Retail Assistant Manager (Full Time)
- Production Employee - Soil Receiving, Truck Unloading
- Laboratory Technician
- Bancorp Collateral Control Specialist II
- Shift Leader
- Relief Security Officer
- Associate Linguist
- Contact Lens Optician - Sittingbourne
- Medical Laboratory Technician (FT)
- Operations Assistant
- Parcel Sorter
- Registered General Nurse (RGN)
- Production Employee - Stockroom & Inventory Control
- ABA Therapists Needed - Experience Preferred!
- Front of house - Bar & Waiting staff
- Information Technology Internal Auditor
- Retail Driver - East Ham
- Delivery Driver
- Business Banking Representative
- Sales Ledger Account Manager and Accountancy Assistant
- San Marcos-General Manager-Hiring Now-Jack in the Box
- Administrative Assistant
- FTTP FIBRE ENGINEER
- Part-time Sales Associate
- Deputy Jailer- Richmond County Sheriff's Office
- Customer Emergency Dispatcher
- Nursery Cook
- Human Resources Manager
- Care Team Leader - Lifeways - Supported Living - SR5
- Plumber Apprentice, Plumber
- Delivery Driver
- To Go
- Assistant Manager
- Support Worker
- Visual Associate, J.Crew Factory, Bergen Town Center Womens
- Audit Staff 2
- Graphic Designer
- Senior University Talent Acquisition Manager, North America
- Night Support Worker - St Johns House
- Business Office Manager (BOM)
- Qualified Electrician
- Facilities Assistant 10352527
- Sales and Service Advisor - PT & FT Positions
- Team Member
- Physical Therapist- School Based Job ID: TA115907
- Part-Time Overnight Security Officer
- Clinical Psychologist
- Registered Nurse Rapid City Hospital Float Pool Full Time
- Direct Support Professional
- To Go
- Heavy Duty Truck & Trailer Mechanic
- Operating Room RN
- Carer/Support Worker - Driving Licence Required
- Year 1 Class Teacher
- General Laborer
- Physical Therapist- School Based Job ID: TA116358
- Patient Care Technician-Blank 4 Pedatric Oncology-BCH
- Community Teacher (Pre-K School Teacher)
- Lab Systems Administrator
- MIU Healthcare Assistant
- IT SPECIALIST (NETWORK)
- LOGISTICS MANAGEMENT SPECIALIST
- Mess Accountant
- Restaurant Shift Leader
- Customer Service Lead/Keyholder - Hastings Ranch Plaza - Carter's
- Retail Sales Consultant
- Asset Manager
- Team member
- Home Inspector
- Behavioral Health Technician II
- Assistant Manager-Westfield Valencia Town Center
- Operating Room RN
- Social Services Coordinator
- Operations Manager
- Psychologist- School Based Job ID: TA115903
- Chief Financial Officer (CFO) / Financial Director
- Healthcare Assistant
- Personal Care Assistant
- Store Manager
- TEACHER OF TECHNOLOGY (MPS) – (one-year fixed term to meet the needs of the curriculum)
- Activities and Lifestyle Facilitator
- General Manager
- Contact Center Project Analyst
- Registered Nurse Dialysis Unit PRN Days
- Human Resources
- Qualified Dental Nurse
- Donation-Utility Associate Trainee
- Assistant Manager
- Field Marketing Representative - Non-Exempt
- Customer Services Advisor (Maternity Cover 12 months)