Job family (Series)
4749 Maintenance Mechanic
Conditions of Employment
- U.S. Citizenship required.
- Appointment subject to background investigation and favorable adjudication.
- Meet Selective Service Registration Act requirement for males.
- Selectee will be required to participate in the Direct Deposit Electronics Funds Transfer Program.
- You must possess a current Class B Commercial Driver's License with tanker endorsement.
- You will be required to submit to a drug test and receive a negative drug test result prior to appointment and thereafter on a random basis.
- You will be required to operate a government (or private) motor vehicle as part of your official duties; a valid driver's license is required. You will be required to submit a Motor Vehicle Operator's License and Driving Record. You must also submit (within a State sealed envelope or submitted directly by the State authorities), and at your own expense, all certified driving records from all States that disclose all valid driver's licenses, whether current or past, possessed by you.
- You will be required to wear a uniform and comply with the National Park Service uniform standards. A uniform allowance will be provided.
- You may be required to work weekends, holidays and shift work.
- If you are a new employee or supervisor in the Federal government, you will be required to complete a one-year probationary period.
- Government Charge Card: You may be required to complete training and obtain/maintain a government charge card with travel and/or purchase authority.
- Applicants must be at least (1)18 years old or (2) at least 16 years old and: (a) Have graduated from high school or been awarded a certificate equivalent to graduating from high school; or (b) Have completed a formal vocational training program; or (c) Have received a statement from school authorities agreeing with their preference for employment rather than continuing their education; or (d) Be currently enrolled in a secondary school and either work only during school vacation periods or work part-time during the school year under a formal student employment program.
QualificationsTo qualify for this position, you must have sufficient knowledge and ability in the following job-related factors:
- Ability To Do The Work Of The Position Without More Than Normal Supervision; operates sewage vacuum trucks up to 53,000 gross vehicle weight rating. Operates engineering equipment such as backhoes, loaders, excavators, dump trucks and forklifts. Performs sewage pumping operations of vault, pit toilets, lines and septic tanks. Maintains clean and orderly equipment, shop and dump stations. Performs water and sewer system monitoring. Operates, maintains and repairs, wastewater collection systems including lift stations, flow meters, bar screens, SCADA monitoring, sewage pumps and pump controls, valves and dosing siphons. Assists in the operation of water treatment systems. (SCREEN OUT)
- SELECTIVE FACTOR: this position requires a special qualification that has been determined to be essential to perform the job duties. You must possess a current Class B Commercial Driver's License with tanker endorsement and provide proof of this license with your application. (SCREEN OUT)
- Ability to Interpret Instructions, Specification, etc. (includes blueprint reading)
- Ability to Use and Maintain Tools and Equipment
- Knowledge of Materials
- Technical Practices (theoretical precise, artistic)
Volunteer Experience: Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community, student, social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
There is no substitution of education for experience for Wage Grade (WG) positions.
Physical Demands: Heavy physical effort is required to stand, reach, bend, tum and move hands, arms and legs. Considerable strain is caused by constant vibration of equipment and jerking and jolting over rough surfaces. Operator is frequently required to work in awkward or strained positions.Climbs ladders up to 20 feet. Performs physical work in trenches and pits. Lifts and carries heavy loads up to 60 pounds. Works with heavy hoses and fittings. Considerable walking, standing, bending, shoveling, and digging.
Working Conditions: Work is performed in all types of weather including snow, rain, and high winds.
Equipment is operated on roads, hills, slopes, grades, rolling surfaces and in forests. Operator is exposed to injury from the equipment,as well as noise, vibration, dust and fumes. Works in temperature extremes from-30 to +90 f.
Performs strenuous physical labor at elevations of 12,000 feet. Operates vehicles in hazardous road conditions including snow, ice, rain, fog, and heavy winds. Works in dark, cramped, and soiled conditions such as valve vaults, water tanks, sewer tanks, pits, trenches, crawl spaces, manholes, etc. Exposed to acids, bases, toxic chemicals, and infectious diseases. Incumbent must be able to wear an approved respirator and pass a pulmonary function test and respirator fitness test. Works in permit required confined spaces.
The National Park Service has determined that the duties of this position are suitable for telework only during an emergency or natural disaster.
If you are unable to apply online or need to fax a document that you do not have in electronic form, view the following link for information regarding an Alternate Application. Click the following link for more information, https://help.usastaffing.gov/Apply/index.php?title=Alternate_Application_Information.
How You Will Be Evaluated
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
A review of your resume and supporting documentation will be made and compared against your responses to the Assessment Questionnaire to determine if you are qualified for this job. If your resume is incomplete or does not support the responses provided in the Assessment Questionnaire, or if you fail to submit all required documentation, you will be rated 'ineligible', 'not qualified', or your score will be adjusted accordingly. If a determination is made that you have inflated your qualifications or experience, you can lose consideration for this position. Please follow all instructions carefully; errors or omissions can affect your rating.
Candidates who apply under Competitive Merit Promotion procedures will undergo a quality review to determine if they are highly qualified based on the content of their resume and their responses to the questionnaire. Best qualified candidates will be referred if all required supporting documentation has been provided.
Candidates who apply under Noncompetitive Merit Promotion procedures will undergo a quality review to determine if they are minimally qualified based on the content of their resume and their responses to the questionnaire. Qualified candidates will be referred if all required supporting documentation has been provided.
You will be evaluated on the following competencies and/or job elements:
- Ability To Do The Work Of The Position Without More Than Normal Supervision (SCREEN OUT)
- Ability To Interpret Instructions, Specification, etc. (includes blueprints reading)
- Ability To Use and Maintain Tools and Equipment
- Knowledge of materials
- Technical Practices (theoretical precise, artistic)
Please submit 1) a copy of your most recent performance appraisal/evaluation and 2) a list of any awards (e.g. superior performance awards, special act or achievement awards, quality step increase, etc.) you received in the last 5 years. Any performance appraisal/evaluation and award documentation you provide will be forwarded to the selecting official. The selecting official will review this documentation and give it due weight consideration during the overall selection process.
If you do not have your most recent performance appraisal/evaluation, please submit a statement as to why it is not available. Please indicate if any prior performance appraisals/evaluations were at an acceptable level.
Background checks and security clearance
Drug test required
Position sensitivity and risk
Non-sensitive (NS)/Low Risk
Trust determination process
The following documents are required and must be submitted by 11:59 PM (EST) on 08/15/2020.
- Resume which includes a list of all significant jobs held and duties performed. If military or civilian, please include your rank and/or grade.
- A complete Occupational Questionnaire
- Merit Promotion Eligibility Documentation such as:
- Federal employees must submit a copy of their latest SF-50 "Notification of Personnel Action" that reflects career or career-conditional tenure showing position title, series, grade and tenure (please do not submit an Award SF-50 as it does not provide the needed information) and, if different, an SF-50 showing highest permanent grade ever held or you may not be considered under the merit promotion process.
- Veterans Preference Documentation (e.g. DD-214, SF-15, VA Letter as appropriate)
- Documentation for the Land Management Workforce Flexibility Act (LMWFA) eligibility, which includes ALL Appointment AND Termination SF-50s for EACH appointment as well as ALL performance evaluations, for each qualifying period of temporary employment claimed.
- Other Supporting Documents, if applicable, such as:
- Veterans Preference Documentation:
- If you are a Discharged, Non-Disabled Veteran, you must submit a copy of your DD-214 showing character of discharge (Member 4 copy), or other Documentation of Service and Separation under Honorable Conditions, as listed on the SF15. If you don't have your DD-214, you may request it after discharge from the National Archives.
- If you are a veteran within 120 days of discharge, you must submit signed documentation from the Armed Forces certifying: 1) your expected release/retirement from active duty, 2) under honorable conditions, 3) your pay grade/rank/rate at time of discharge, 4) dates of active duty service, 5) any campaign or expeditionary medals received, & 6) dated within 120 days of your separation.
- If you are a Disabled Veteran, Purple Heart Recipient, or Mother or Spouse of a Disabled or Deceased Veteran, you must submit all additional proof required by the SF15, and if applicable, a completed SF15. You may request a copy of your Department of Veterans Affairs letter from www.ebenefits.va.gov or call 1-800-827-1000 to establish proof of disability.
- Performance Appraisals and Awards:
- All applicants must submit their most recent performance appraisal showing the official rating of record and signed by a supervisor or, if one is unavailable, a statement as to why it is not available (including if any prior performance appraisals/evaluations were at an acceptable level).
- Failure to submit any of the above mentioned required documents will result in loss of consideration due to an incomplete application package. It is your responsibility to ensure all required documents have been submitted.
- Veterans Preference Documentation:
- Documentation that you meet Selective Factors. You must upload a copy of your Class B CDL with photo removed OR include the type and expiration date of your CDL and endorsement in your resume.
- Documentation for Interagency/Career Transition Assistance Plan consideration if you are a displaced Federal employee within the local commuting area. You must include: 1) Proof you are a displaced Federal employee, e.g., RIF Separation Notice, Notice of Proposed Removal, etc; 2) SF-50s (Notifications of Personnel Action) showing career/conditional tenure competitive status, promotion potential and duty location; and 3) your most recent performance appraisal. To exercise selection priority, displaced or surplus Federal employees must be rated well-qualified or above 85 on the rating criteria for this position.
Do not upload Adobe portfolio documents. Adobe portfolio documents are not viewable by our agency's staffing offices.
A career with the U.S. Government provides employees with a comprehensive benefits package. As a federal employee, you and your family will have access to a range of benefits that are designed to make your federal career very rewarding. Learn more about federal benefits.
Review our benefits
Eligibility for benefits depends on the type of position you hold and whether your position is full-time, part-time, or intermittent. Contact the hiring agency for more information on the specific benefits offered.
This position is career seasonal in nature and does not provide for year round work. The season is expected to last April through November and the employee may be in non-pay status during the months of December through March. It is expected that project work may decrease non-pay time to 1-2 pay periods, but this can vary due to workload/ funding. Government housing may be available on a temporary or permanent basis. Housing assignments are made through a bid process.
This Maintenance Worker position operates sewage vacuum trucks up to 53,000 gross vehicle weight rating. Operates engineering equipment such as backhoes, loaders, excavators, dump trucks and forklifts. Performs sewage pumping operations of vault, pit toilets, lines and septic tanks. Maintains clean and orderly equipment, shop and dump stations. Performs water and sewer system monitoring. Operates, maintains and repairs, wastewater collection systems including lift stations, flow meters, bar screens, SCADA monitoring, sewage pumps and pump controls, valves and dosing siphons. Assists in the operation of water treatment systems.
Occasional travel - You may be expected to travel for this position.
This job is open to
Career transition (CTAP, ICTAP, RPL)
Federal employees who meet the definition of a "surplus" or "displaced" employee.
Federal employees - Competitive service
Current or former competitive service federal employees.
Individuals with disabilities
Land & base management
Certain current or former term or temporary federal employees of a land or base management agency.
Peace Corps & AmeriCorps Vista
Family of overseas employees
Family members of a federal employee or uniformed service member who is, or was, working overseas.
Individuals eligible under a special authority not listed above, but defined in the federal hiring regulations.
Clarification from the agency
All current or former career/career-conditional federal employees with competitive/reinstatement eligibility; Eligible applicants under: Veterans' Employment Opportunity Act (VEOA); CTAP/ICTAP within the local commuting area; Special Hiring Authorities; Current or former time-limited employees under PL-114-47, Land Management Workforce Flexibility Act (LMWFA); All former PLC members meeting PLC requirements.
- Maintenance Mechanic - Graveyard Shift
- PHLEBOTOMIST - LAB
- Route Sales Person
- Library Assistant
- Senior Manager, Title Planning
- Showroom Advisor - Chester
- Housekeeper - Coronary Care
- Registered Nurse Recovery Room Full Time Flexible
- Part Time Retail Merchandiser
- Retail Sales Associate (part-time) - 231
- Child Support Worker
- Registered Nurse Emergency Department Full time Nights 10K Bonus for Experienced RNs
- Contract Recruiter
- TeleTherapy Services for SLP in Washington State
- Traveling LPN - Licensed Practical Nurse
- Part Time Teller - 20 Hours - Foster City Branch
- RN Case Manager Full Time Days
- Freight Stocker
- Pharmacy Technician / Pharm Tech Apprenticeship
- Skilled Trades VI - Heating Plant
- Associate Scientist #JN -082020-54879
- Occupational Therapist-73709
- Hospitality (Day)
- Lighthouse Connections Academy - School Office Manager, 2020-2021 School Year
- Part-Time Center Associate
- Program Manager
- Help Desk Specialist
- Part Time Teller - 20 Hours - San Carlos Branch
- Managed Care Specialist
- Restaurant Team Member
- General Manager
- Registered Nurse Obstetrics Full Time Nights
- Teletherapy-Speech Language Pathologist-CCC-Georgia
- Restaurant Team Member - Crew (1628 - Warrenton)
- Travel CNA- Certified Nursing Assistant
- Forklift Driver / Warehouse General Operative
- Waitress and Cashier
- Housekeeper I - Days- Full-Time
- Assistant Manager
- Office Administrator
- Curation Specialist (Contract)
- Member Service Specialist
- Receptionist/Administration Assistant
- Registered Nurse Same Day Surgery Full Time Days
- Crew Member
- Maintenance Tech (1st and 2nd Shift Positions Available)
- Communication Designer - Instagram
- International Trade Coordinator
- Laborer - Overtime, Commission and Bonuses
- Tennis Instructor
- Participant Support (Part-Time)
- Registered Nurse
- Unit Sec/Northeast Campus Freestanding ER
- Warehouse Operative - Nights (10pm-7am) - Northampton
- State Inspector/Automotive Technician - Chili
- Brand Associate
- Animal Keeper
- Sales Representative
- Respiratory Occupational Therapist
- Proactive Intelligence Officer - South West and Wales
- Shop Supervisor - Union St, Stroud
- Inside Sales Representative (7222)
- Senior Support Worker, Drop In Service, Torfaen
- Horizontal Directional Drill Locator
- Warehouse Wortker
- Physiotherapist (Rotational)
- Medical Records/Central Supply
- Experienced and Flexible Van Drivers - Must have own transport
- Senior Children's Residential Support Worker
- Housekeeping Associate (Weekends)
- Kitchen Crew
- MultiModality Technician FT Rotating at Total Care West The Hospitals of Providence Sierra Campus El Paso TX
- Grocery/ Supermarket General Store Manager
- 238375 - Medical Physicist - Radiation/Oncology
- Territory Sales Manager (Commercial Roofing)
- OFFICE MANAGER/SUPERVISOR for HOME CARE AGENCY
- Community Support Supervisor-Far Rockaway
- HGV Driver
- PRACTICE ASSISTANT I / 40 HOUR / DAY / ORTHOPEDIC SURGERY / BWH MAIN CAMPUS
- Customer Care Agent
- Clinical Engineer Tech
- Veterinary Scribe- Now Hiring! Kick Start Your Veterinarian Career!
- Kitchen Porter (Hollow Bottom, Guiting Power)
- Lab Research Associate I - Anesthesiology and Critical Care
- Correctional Security Officer III (Mack Alford Correctional Center, Stringtown)
- Lawn care worker
- Administration/Personal Assistant
- Candy Factory Worker
- Food Service Assistant 1
- Bus Driver
- Health Care Assistant
- Stock Associate, J.Crew Retail, Valley Fair
- Amazon Warehouse Assistant (Early Morning Shifts Available) - Earn $15/hr or more
- Administration Assistant
- Early Years Practitioner
- Part Time Teacher
- Nutrition Services Concierge NAR Preferred
- Staff Midwife
- Health Care Assistant/Support Worker
- RN Supervisor
- Sales Person
- Commercial Property Paralegal
- Material Handler
- Customer Service Representative - Beef Sales
- Housing Needs Assistant
- Trust Doctor (F2/StR1 level) in Trauma & Orthopaedics
- Community Care Assistant - DRIVER
- Product Manager
- Registered Nurse / Operating Department Practitioner
- ELECTRONICS SYSTEMS REPAIR INSPECTOR
- Deputy Manager - Thomas Henshaw Court, Southport, PR8
- 3rd Line IT Support Engineer
- Lecturer in Computer Science (Teaching)
- Game Engineer - C#/Unity
- HGV Driver / Valeter- Edinburgh
- Business Development Manager
- Data Entry Clerk (Night Shift 7 on 7 off)
- RCP II
- Guest Advisor (Sales Associate)
- Structural Steel Inspector
- Immediate Start Builders Cleaner
- Residential Home Cleaner
- Pest Control Technician
- Restaurant Server
- General Labourer
- Cloud DevSecOps Engineer
- Steel CAD Designer (FT)
- Domestic Cleaner/Housekeeper Part-Time
- Nursery Deputy Manager
- Night Shift Maintenance Fitter
- Lush Bromley Manager
- MSW Intern
- Sales Assistant
- Deli Associate
- Specialist MSK Physiotherapist
- Health Care Assistant (care home)
- Building Service Engineer
- Community Specialist Dietitian
- Community Care Worker STAFFORD
- Distribution Center Loss Prevention Specialist-Ontario, CA
- Registered General Nurse
- MMG Clinic LPN