Night Support Worker - St Johns House
The Wallich is a homelessness charity delivering innovative housing and support services to homeless and vulnerably housed people. The Organisation formed in 1978 in Cardiff and now supports around 8000 people a year across Wales. Our work falls into four principal areas:
1. Residential supported housing projects, including direct access hostels, emergency night shelters and accommodation for people with specific issues such as substance misuse, youth services etc.
2. Floating (Tenancy) support projects in which we support people who have tenancy difficulties, sometimes with a contributing health or other need, and are in danger of losing their homes.
3. Prevention or intervention projects supplied through Homelessness Prevention Grant funding which are a broad range of services that prevent homelessness or make life better for homeless people.
4. Participation and Progression services, which are embedded in all our projects enhancing support through providing opportunities for Service Users to take an active part in their community. These services include those designed to enable people to move into meaningful activities including employment and training opportunities.
The Wallich’s values are of empowerment and treating people with dignity, respect and unconditional positive regard. The Wallich is committed to providing services that are trauma informed and delivered with Psychologically Informed Environments (PIE) at the heart of its support. A PIE is an approach to supporting people out of homelessness whilst making significant and positive progress in overcoming trauma, substance misuse and mental illness. It also considers the psychological needs of staff: developing skills and knowledge, increasing motivation, job satisfaction and resilience. At the heart of what we do are the people we support, who are actively and meaningfully involved in their own support and encouraged to participate in the design, development and delivery of services.
The project is located in Wrexham and works with homeless men and women aged 18 and over. The service provides residential support with the aim of meeting individuals’ needs, which promote independence and lead to a sustainable move-on. The project is funded through the Supporting People Programme Grant and is required to meet the Welsh Government’s National Outcomes Framework. The Framework’s four main aims are:
- Promoting Personal and Community Safety
- Promoting Independence and Control
- Promoting Economic Progress and Financial Control
- Promoting Health and Wellbeing
Purpose of Role
To provide a proactive night time presence within the project to promote quiet and peaceful occupation of its residents/visitors. To respond to disturbances, emergencies and other housing management functions according to procedure and provide ad-hoc support to residents in response to demand. To assist with the organisations lone working and arrangement of out of hours resources.
Main Duties, Responsibilities and Person Profile
Main Duties and Responsibilities
1. To provide support to the residents of the project.
a) To ensure that all Service Users are treated fairly and afforded equality of opportunity.
b) To ensure that Service Users’ needs are met through the consistent application of the Wallich’s model of support.
c) To support Service Users with particular reference to:
- Providing information, advice and guidance that enable Service users to make informed decisions about their needs and support.
- Applying the basic principles of various conversational and psycho-social intervention skill sets to the benefit of Service Users (i.e. Solution Focused working and Motivational Interviewing).
- Enabling Service Users to have a means of expressing their views and that this expression receives appropriate consideration.
- Assisting with referrals to and liaising with relevant agencies and individuals with or on behalf of Service Users (where appropriate).
- Assisting Senior Support Workers (SSW) in reviewing needs and support plans and updating the relevant records with the authorisation of a SSW.
- Assisting SSW in reviewing risk assessments and updating relevant records with the authorisation, or in the absence, of a SSW.
- Discussing and observing Service User’s levels of control, understanding and involvement (CU&I) and updating the relevant records with the authorisation of a SSW.
- Representing and advocating with/for Service Users (where appropriate).
d) To maintain accurate and up to date records of Service Users’ issues and support according to procedure.
e) To maintain regular communication with Senior Support Workers relating to the need for changes to Service Users’ needs and risk assessments and support plans.
f) To ensure that the service standards set out in the organisational document ‘Great Expectations’ are met or exceeded.
2. To assist in monitoring the effectiveness of the project.
a) To ensure that records of Service Users accessing the service are maintained.
b) To provide statistics and other information as requested.
3. To assist with the project’s housing management functions.
a) To assist with the induction of Service Users into project and provide and explain the required information (where appropriate).
b) To collect service charges and rent (where appropriate).
c) To assist with facilitating residents’ house meetings (where appropriate).
d) To monitor project activity, respond to emergencies according to situation and maintain appropriate records.
e) To address and report maintenance issues in line with the Maintenance Policy.
f) To assist with Health and Safety monitoring and checks in line with legislation, policy and organisational requirements.
g) To ensure good standards of cleanliness and hygiene are maintained at all times.
h) To address all issues to maintain a safe and pleasant project environment.
4. To assist in the overall running of the project.
a) To work in line with all Wallich policies and procedures.
b) To participate in own supervision.
c) To undertake relevant training.
d) To report to manager regularly informing him/her of issues arising during the course of the work that require policy decisions.
e) To complete any tasks left from daytime staff.
f) To take part in all aspects of lone working as directed by the policy.
g) To partake in a team handover where applicable.
h) To undertake other duties within the remit of the post.
a) To work and travel across Wrexham, and further afield as and when required.
b) To act as an organisational Lone Working Contact according to the Lone Working Procedure.
c) To arrange out of hours staffing cover/emergency maintenance using pre-approved out of hours resource list.
The list of duties and responsibilities is not an exhaustive one and may be varied from time to time by the Manager. This job description is subject to regular review.
a) Basic knowledge of Homelessness Law, the Criminal Justice System and DWP Benefits.
b) Basic knowledge of how complex needs, such as substance misuse and mental health, can affect individuals and their vulnerability.
c) Basic knowledge of how your personal life can affect your own performance and attendance.
d) An understanding of the need for professional boundaries.
a) Experience of working with vulnerable people.
b) Experience of housing related support or homelessness (this can be from a personal perspective).
c) Experience of delivering support is desirable.
d) Experience of recording your work in paper or digital systems is desirable.
e) Experience of engaging with diverse people in a non-judgemental way.
f) Experience of dealing with challenging situations.
a) Confident and able to lone work on own initiative.
b) Driving licence and own vehicle is desirable but not essential.
c) Ability to communicate in Welsh is desirable but not essential.
Please note: Due to the on-going COVID-19 situation The Wallich are currently undertaking interviews via video calling. We will be keeping this under constant review and hope to be able to commence standard interviewing again soon.
Interview date: 21st July 2020
- Tennis Instructor
- Kitchen Crew
- Proactive Intelligence Officer - South West and Wales
- Lab Research Associate I - Anesthesiology and Critical Care
- Lawn care worker
- Golf Course Maintenance
- Registered Respiratory Therapist - Pediatric Intensive Care - (RRT - PICU)
- Associate Veterinarian
- Registered Respiratory Therapist - (RRT)
- Canvassing Manager
- Subway Sandwich Artist®
- UI/UX Design Intern
- Physiotherapist (Rotational)
- Sr. Radiology Student - Children's Radiology - PRN
- Bus Driver
- HVAC Counter Sales I
- Vacation Homes Housekeeper
- Business Development Manager
- Radiologic Technologist - Full-Time
- Office Administrative Assistant / Bookkeeping
- School Drum Instructor
- Pet Care Specialist
- MultiModality Technician FT Rotating at Total Care West The Hospitals of Providence Sierra Campus El Paso TX
- Registered Respiratory Therapist - Pediatric - (RRT - Peds - Pedi)
- Pizza Maker/Cashier
- Property Manager - The Greens at Logan Field
- Outside Sales Representative
- Warehouse Wortker
- Part Time Night Trash Collector
- To Go
- Scheduling/Closing Coordinator
- Part Time Retail Sales Consultant
- HVAC Counter Sales I
- Care & Support Worker
- Landscape Foreman
- Candy Factory Worker
- Teaching Assistant
- Crew Leader, Landscape and Learning
- Dispatch Coordinator I
- Business Intelligence - Information Analyst
- Locum Band 6 CPN – Romford, Essex
- Customer Logistics Supervisor
- Staff Nurse
- Virtual Tax Associate
- Full and part time shifts available: 8 am -6 pm or 12 pm - 6 pm
- Customer Service Advisor
- Specialist MSK Physiotherapist
- Distribution Center Loss Prevention Specialist-Ontario, CA
- Assistant, Brand Image Marketing
- Communication Designer - Instagram
- Grill Cook/Line Cook
- Admin Coordinator- Periop
- Warehouse Operative - Nights (10pm-7am) - Northampton
- Purchasing Agent
- Unit Sec/Northeast Campus Freestanding ER
- Fulfillment Center Operations Management Internship (Undergraduate & Graduate Students) (Woodland, California)
- RN (Home Health), Wake Cocunty, PRN/PT
- QA Operations Facilitator (QA Supervisor)
- Kitchen Associate - #66
- Claims Handler
- Registered Nurse
- House Cleaning Superstar
- Warehouse Supervisor - RBG
- Overnight Bell/Valet Attendant
- State Inspector/Automotive Technician - Chili
- Quality Test Engineer – Automation
- Sales Professional
- Respiratory Occupational Therapist
- Sales Representative
- Clinical Nurse I - Home Health - Premium Weekend
- Part Time 20 HR Associate Banker Chagrin Falls (210010430)
- Jewelry Sales Professional
- Advantage Resourcing- Putnam CT
- Experienced and Flexible Van Drivers - Must have own transport
- Territory Sales Manager (Commercial Roofing)
- Senior Support Worker, Drop In Service, Torfaen
- Digital Content Specialist
- Benefit Plan Configuration Specialist
- Front Office Supervisor - Kimpton Schofield Hotel
- Custom framer
- Grocery/ Supermarket General Store Manager
- Necropsy Technician 1
- Radiologic Technologist
- Wireless - Retail Sales Associate W5030
- Senior Children's Residential Support Worker
- Foreclosure Support Specialist I - Foreclosure Quotes
- Chemotherapy Prep Technician
- PRACTICE ASSISTANT I / 40 HOUR / DAY / ORTHOPEDIC SURGERY / BWH MAIN CAMPUS
- Customer Care Agent
- HGV Class 2 Driver
- Environmental Technician I - 1st Shift
- RN Emergency Room
- Production Employee - Soil Receiving, Truck Unloading
- Bancorp Collateral Control Specialist II
- Shift Leader
- Laboratory Technician
- Associate Linguist
- To Go
- Information Technology Internal Auditor
- Parcel Sorter
- Part-time Sales Associate
- Business Banking Representative
- Registered General Nurse (RGN)
- ABA Therapists Needed - Experience Preferred!
- Artificial grass installer/Landscaper
- Senior University Talent Acquisition Manager, North America
- Relief Security Officer
- Medical Laboratory Technician (FT)
- Early Years Practitioner
- Care Team Leader - Lifeways - Supported Living - SR5
- Operations Assistant
- MUNICIPAL COURTS SECURITY OFFICER
- Part Time Teacher
- Visual Associate, J.Crew Factory, Bergen Town Center Womens
- Production Employee - Stockroom & Inventory Control
- Administrative Assistant
- San Marcos-General Manager-Hiring Now-Jack in the Box
- Business Strategy Optimization Analyst
- Front of house - Bar & Waiting staff
- Nutrition Services Concierge NAR Preferred
- Audit Staff 2
- Customer Emergency Dispatcher
- Staff Midwife
- Health Care Assistant/Support Worker
- Deputy Jailer- Richmond County Sheriff's Office
- Assistant Manager
- Plumber Apprentice, Plumber
- RN Supervisor
- Community Engagement Manager
- Qualified Electrician
- Night Support Worker - St Johns House
- Support Worker
- Warehouse Operative
- Customer Service Associate
- Business Office Manager (BOM)