Open & closing dates
08/03/2020 to 08/07/2020
Pay scale & grade
$24.44 to $28.48 per hour
Permanent - Federal
Full-Time - Full-Time, Permanent
- Washington, DC FEW vacancies
- Front Royal, VA FEW vacancies
Relocation expenses reimbursed
This job is open to
U.S. citizens, nationals or those who owe allegiance to the U.S.
Clarification from the agency
This position is open to all U.S. Citizens or U.S. Nationals. More than one selection may be made from this announcement.
This position is located in Smithsonian Institution, National Zoological Park. The purpose of this position would be to perform a variety of duties that ensure the proper preparation, procurement, and distribution of diets for all animals in the NZP collection.Learn more about this agency
- Receives work assignments and training to prepare for participation in the creation of an overall environment for collection animals, which ensures the health and welfare of the specimens and provides an enriching and memorable experience for the visiting public.
- Performs a variety of duties under close supervision to develop skills that ensure the proper care, feeding, exhibition, and propagation of a collection of wild and exotic animals, many of which are rare and endangered.
- Responsible for the daily care and feeding of assigned animals.
- Performs duties involved in the receipt, inspection, storage, inventory, preparation, and issuance of food and dietary supplements, forage, and bedding materials.
Job family (Series)
5001 Miscellaneous Plant And Animal Work
Conditions of Employment
- Pass Pre-employment Background Investigation
- May need to complete a Probationary Period
- Maintain a Bank Account for Direct Deposit/Electronic Transfer
- Males born after 12/31/59 must be registered with Selective Service.
The work requires the ability to lift and carry materials weighing up to 100 pounds. The work also requires extended periods of standing, walking, bending, and stooping.
The work is performed indoors and outdoors in all weather conditions. The incumbent is exposed to dust and to unpleasant odors and noises from the animals and to cleaning solutions and other chemicals. The work is performed on concrete floors and other hard surfaces. The work may be performed in closed or cramped spaces. The incumbent is exposed to bites, scratches, and animal waste, and may be exposed to animal parasites
and zoonotic diseases.
Other Significant Facts:
The incumbent must receive immunizations to guard against zoonotic diseases and is subject to regular medical screening.
The incumbent may be assigned to any eight hour shift and is subject to call at any time, including weekends and holidays.
The incumbent is considered to be emergency personnel for purposes of being on call during government shutdowns due to inclement weather, Code Red terrorism alerts, and other emergency situations, to ensure adequate animal care is provided as required.
Qualification requirements must be met by the closing date of the job opportunity announcement.
For information on the Job Qualification System for Trades and Labor Occupations, see OPM’s web site at http://www.opm.gov/qualifications/x-118c/index.htm.
QualificationsIn order to be rated qualified, an applicant's overall experience and training must indicate possession of the minimum knowledge, skills, and abilities needed to perform the duties of this position.
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community, student, social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
Flexible Spending Accounts - https://www.fsafeds.com/
Health Insurance - http://www.opm.gov/insure/health/index.asp
Leave - http://www.opm.gov/oca/leave/index.asp
Life Insurance - http://www.opm.gov/insure/life/index.asp
Long Term Care Insurance - http://www.ltcfeds.com
Retirement Program - https://www.opm.gov/retirement-services/
How You Will Be Evaluated
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
How you will be evaluated:
Applications will first be evaluated to determine whether the following screen out element is met:
- Ability to do work of the position without more than normal supervision.
If an applicant meets the screen-out element, the following Job Elements will be evaluated:
- Skill in caring for Maned Wolves, Clouded Leopards, Red Pandas and Cheetahs in a zoological setting or equivalent.
- Skill in observing Maned Wolves, Clouded Leopards, Red Pandas and Cheetahs in a zoological setting to interpret unusual behavior, symptoms of illness or injury.
- Skill in handling Maned Wolves, Clouded Leopards, Cheetahs and Red Pandas in a safe and non-stressful manner; and following animal care procedures in feeding, cleaning enclosures, and capturing and Maned Wolves, Clouded Leopards, Cheetahs and Red Pandas.
- Knowledge of the physical, environmental and behavior patterns of wild exotic and/or endangered animals such as Maned Wolves, Clouded Leopards, Cheetahs and Red Pandas.
- Skill in using hand and mechanical tools in order to care for animals and to construct exhibits.
- Ability to communicate in writing to maintain records, produce reports and record observations of animal behavior.
- Ability to communicate orally in order to provide information to the public in an educational setting.
- Skill in training carnivores.
- Skill in assisting with the implementation of animal enrichment programs for wild or exotic animals.
Applicants who meet or exceed the screen-out element will be assigned to one of three category groups based on job-related criteria:
- Best Category - Meets the screen-out element and excels in most of the job related elements above.
- Better Category - Meets the screen-out element and satisfies most of the job related elements above.
- Good Category - Meets the screen-out element, but does not satisfy most of the job related elements above to a substantive degree.
This category rating process does not add veterans' preference points or apply the "rule of three", but protects the rights of veterans by placing them ahead of non-veterans within each category. A selecting official may make selections from the highest quality category (Best Category) provided no veteran in that category is passed over to select a non-veteran in that category unless the requirements of 5 U.S.C. 3317(b) or 3318(b) are satisfied.
Veterans who meet minimum qualification requirements and who have a compensable service-connected disability of at least 10 percent must be listed in the highest quality category, except when the position being filled is scientific or professional at the GS-9 grade level or higher.
Applicants who have not submitted a resume in the USAjobs system and/or have not answered all of the announcement questions will not be considered for this position.
Your resume and supporting documentation will be compared to your responses to the occupational questionnaire or other assessment tool for consistency. If a determination is made that you have rated yourself higher than is supported by your resume, you will be assigned a rating commensurate to your described experience.
Your resume should provide sufficient information regarding how your education and experience relate to this position, including the major duties and qualifications criteria listed.
To preview questions please click here.
Background checks and security clearance
Drug test required
Position sensitivity and risk
Moderate Risk (MR)
Trust determination process
Your application package should include the following documents:
Resume - Your resume can be uploaded and attached to your application or created using the USA Jobs on-line resume builder. If you want to receive full credit for relevant experience your resume MUST contain the job title (including the occupational series and grade if it is Federal), duties, starting and ending dates (month and year), hours worked per week, and salary.
USAJOBS has guidance on how to ensure that you submit a complete resume: If you have not written a Federal resume before, you may watch this Resume Writing Tutorial video on the USAJOBS YouTube channel, or read through a helpful Resume Writing FAQ article on the USAJOBS Help Site to learn what details you should, and should not, include in your resume. If any of the above information is not included in your resume we may not be able to fully credit you for your experience.
- Proof of Veteran's Preference - DD214 (Member 4 Copy), if you are a veteran. Additionally, applicants claiming 10-point preference must complete Standard Form (SF) 15, Application for 10-Point Veteran Preference, as well as additional documentation required by the SF-15, such as a VA letter.
- Unofficial school transcripts, if the position has an education requirement or if you are using education to qualify. If selected for the position, you must provide an official transcript before appointment.
- Proof of U.S. accreditation for foreign study, if applicable.
The Smithsonian offers a comprehensive benefits package that includes, in part, vacation and sick leave, holidays, health/life insurance, accident insurance, and excellent retirement program options.
Please see Benefits at https://www.si.edu/OHR/benefits for a complete description.
How to Apply
How to Apply
- You must apply for this position online through the 'Apply Online' button and submit required supplemental documents (if they are relevant to you).
- You may submit required documents by uploading them online during the application process; OR You may manually fax required documents. Faxes are received by an automated system, not a physical fax machine. Documents that are faxed as part of the application process must be sent with the system generated cover sheet by the closing date. Documents faxed without the system generated coversheet are not retrievable and cannot be considered as part of the application package.
- The complete application package, including any required documents, is due in the Smithsonian Office of Human Resources on the closing date of the announcement by 11:59 PM Eastern Time.
- If you are unable to apply online, paper applications may be accepted with prior approval of the Contact Person listed below.
Agency contact information
Joseph WingateLearn more about this agency
Office of Human Resources
POB 37012, 600 Maryland Avenue, MRC 517
Washington, District of Columbia 20013-7012
At the end of the application process you will be able to create and save a PDF file that contains your responses to the assessment questions. You may save this file as initial receipt of your application. After the job announcement closes, you will receive an email from the Smithsonian with confirmation of receipt. The Smithsonian receives many applications for each job. Each application is reviewed carefully which may take a few weeks. We will send you an e-mail to update you as we go through phases of the application review process. You may also check your application status by logging into www.usajobs.gov and selecting the tab "My USAJOBS;" e-mailing [email protected]; or by contacting the Office of Human Resources Representative listed. Additional Information:
- Tips on applying for Smithsonian jobs are available at www.sihr.si.edu/jobs.cfm.
- The Smithsonian does not pay relocation expenses but recruitment incentives may be authorized.
- The Smithsonian embraces diversity and equal employment opportunity (www.si.edu/oeema).
Fair & Transparent
Fair & Transparent
The Federal hiring process is setup to be fair and transparent. Please read the following guidance.
Equal Employment Opportunity Policy
The United States Government does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor.
- Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) for federal employees & job applicants
Reasonable Accommodation Policy
Federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodation to applicants with disabilities where appropriate. Applicants requiring reasonable accommodation for any part of the application process should follow the instructions in the job opportunity announcement. For any part of the remaining hiring process, applicants should contact the hiring agency directly. Determinations on requests for reasonable accommodation will be made on a case-by-case basis.
A reasonable accommodation is any change to a job, the work environment, or the way things are usually done that enables an individual with a disability to apply for a job, perform job duties or receive equal access to job benefits.
Under the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodations when:
- An applicant with a disability needs an accommodation to have an equal opportunity to apply for a job.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to perform the essential job duties or to gain access to the workplace.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to receive equal access to benefits, such as details, training, and office-sponsored events.
You can request a reasonable accommodation at any time during the application or hiring process or while on the job. Requests are considered on a case-by-case basis.
Learn more about disability employment and reasonable accommodations or how to contact an agency.
Legal and regulatory guidance
- Financial suitability
- Social security number request
- Privacy Act
- Signature and false statements
- Selective Service
- New employee probationary period
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/575261900. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.
- Clinical Educator
- Perishable Stocker
- PSE SALES & SVCS/DISTRIBUTION ASSOCIATE
- Environmental Service Aide I / 30 hours / Evenings
- Assistant in Training
- ADMINISTRATIVE COORDINATOR 2/3 OWC HEARINGS
- To Go
- Release Manager
- Multi Drop Parcel Delivery Driver
- Operations Account Associate, CastleGate Operations Team
- Sterile Process Aide
- Memory Support Specialist
- Food Service/Bakery Deli Manager
- Back of House - Kitchen
- In Home Sales Expert
- Human Resources Specialist (Recruitment and Placement)
- Part-Time Sales Teammate
- Meat Manager
- Call Center Agent
- RURAL CARR ASSOC/SRV REG RTE
- PSE SALES & SVCS/DISTRIBUTION ASSOCIATE
- 919-BA-34549531-EXT Secretariat Scientist/Epidemiologist
- TEAM LEADER - Jack in the Box
- Account Executive
- BHSCT _ Health Visiting Manager Band 8A
- CITY CARRIER ASSISTANT
- Medical Administrative Assistant II- Longwood- 40 hrs
- Caretaker / House Keeper
- SUPPORT WORKER
- Front of House - Server
- Kitchen Porter
- Store Manager
- Leader In Training
- PROGRAM ANALYST
- Part-Time Retail Merchandiser - Lee's Summit, MO
- 7.5T Drivers Needed – up to £14.25 (Coventry)
- Dockworker Part Time AM Sundays required
- Store Sales Associate– Part Time – Kalamazoo/Portage Mi. ARC#20-12
- Part-Time Retail Merchandiser - Portage, MI
- Eugene HVRP - Outreach Worker
- Hotel Laundry Attendant Full Time
- Universal Banker
- Host / Hostess
- Clerk/Cashier Customer Service
- Host/Busser/Food Runner
- Contact Center Specialist
- Human Resources Manager
- Composite Trimmer
- Risk Management Associate - Liens/Listing Agreement Review - St. Edward, NE
- Software Engineer Mid-Level
- Trading Assistant
- Customer Service
- Commercial Service Rep
- Treasury Analyst - 6 month FTC
- Part-Time Store Associate
- Digital /Technical Product Manager -Senior Level
- Assistant Professor - Pulmonary Diseases & Critical Care Medicine
- Pensions Administrator
- Data Scientist
- Customer Service / Sales Advisor
- Assistant Store Manager
- Mental Health Recovery Support Worker - Bradford
- Telemetry Technician
- Deli Clerk- SHOPPERS Food & Pharmacy ( Silver Hill- Maryland)
- Personal Assistant
- Part-Time Customer Service Representative - Work from Home
- Scaffolding Labourer
- Retail Sales Associate (Temecula)
- Wheelchair Escort/Customer Service - $9/hr + TIPS
- CNA - Certified Nursing Assistant
- Business Applications Analyst Senior
- DIRECTOR FOR GENERAL OB-GYN DIVISION
- Registered Nurse - RN -Emergency Room - ER
- Multi Drop Delivery Driver
- Facilities Support Worker - Housekeeping
- Graduate SEN Teaching Assistant
- Retail Stocking Associate
- Passionate Care Assistants - feel valued
- Commissioning Manager
- Team Member
- Teaching Assistant
- Daycare Teacher
- Christmas Casual
- PSE SALES & SVCS/DISTRIBUTION ASSOCIATE
- Health Technician (Optometry)
- Security Guard (Unarmed)
- Trainee Welder Fabricator
- Experienced Healthcare Assistant
- Lead Data Engineer
- Software Engineer Mid-Level
- Seasonal Part Time Sales Consultant
- Nurse - £2000 Welcome bonus
- Intake Coordinator
- Talent Acquisition Intern
- Board Certified Behavior Analyst - BCBA
- Office Staff
- Water / Sewer Distribution Superintendent
- Receptionist - State Farm Agent Team Member
- Restaurant Team Member - 14301 S.P.I.D. - Flour Bluff - THE ISLAND (Corpus Christi, TX) - Unit # 376
- Associate Account Executive, Management Liability
- 1st Shift Production Supervisor
- Cashier Job
- Staff Accountant
- Communications Manager
- Rest Area Caretaker (I75 Piqua)
- Building Custodian
- Financial Advisor (Looking for Career Changers)
- Senior Underwriter/Underwriter - Property
- Restaurant Team Member- IH 10 W and Ralph Fair Rd (San Antonio, TX) - Unit # 1101
- Registered Nurse RN Intensive Care ICU PCU
- Holiday Store Clerk ( 4:00 PM to 11:00 PM availability)
- Customer Service Representative
- Registered Nurse
- Warehouse/Shopper Team Member
- Banking Services Analyst III - Closing & Collateral
- Committee Secretary
- Shop Assistant/Autobody Parts Helper/Parts Assistant/Parts Runner - Cuyahoga Falls
- Unit Supply Specialist, Army
- Lead Decision Support Analyst
- Enquiries, Complaints and Compliments Coordinator (25 hrs per week)
- Warehouse Associate
- Assistant Manager
- FOH Team Member
- Academic Dean
- Management Information Specialist
- Sales Advisor
- Support Worker
- Delivery Driver Medical Equipment
- Delivery Driver
- Janitor - Branford, FL
- Teacher of English - Secondary
- Guest Experience Specialist (Sales Associate)
- Assistant General Manager Salary
- Supervisory Criminal Investigator
- SUPERVISORY PRODUCTION CONTROLLER
- Registered Nurse
- COMMUNITY MANAGER INTERN
- HME Supply Tech AL, (drives,delivers/setup medical equipment), FT 9a-6p, hol&wkd rotation- HME Mphs
- Colaborador/a de Almacén Full Time (Temporal), IKEA Carolina.
- Graduate Building Surveyor
- Chassis Insulator (1st shift, 4:45am
- Copay Assistant Coordinator