General Engineer/Physical Scientist
- Serve as the senior technical nuclear expert implementing NNSA's statutory and policy responsibilities in the areas of: reviewing export licenses for nuclear dual use goods; support for U.S. sanctions activities under respective statutory authorities and executive orders; support to U.S. participation in multilateral export control regimes; support to DOE/NNSA participation in National Security Council-led meetings; and developing compliance guidance for the DOE/NNSA complex.
- Responsible for performing reviews, oversight, and providing technical advice related to the design, cost estimates, construction, operation and other integrated activities.
- Provide authoritative information and analysis that identifies, interprets, and develops alternatives and makes a significant contribution to the planning and evaluation of these programs and projects with international impact.
- Prepare decision memoranda, briefing materials, Congressional testimony, speeches and /or relevant correspondences.
Job family (Series)
0801 General Engineering
1301 General Physical Science
Conditions of Employment
- Subject to Random Drug Testing Must
- Pass a pre-employment drug test.
- Favorable suitability determination required.
- Financial Disclosure may be required.
- Must be able to obtain/maintain a Q level Security Clearance.
- Position may require Certification in the DOE's Technical Qualification Program (TQP) within 18 months.
- Position may require Human Reliability Program (HRP) certification.
- You must be a United States Citizen.
- This employer participates in the e-Verify program.
- Males must abide by Selective Service registration requirements.
- Compliance with Homeland Security Presidential Directive (HSPD-12) governing personal identity which will require that you provide two forms of identification.
- A one year probationary period may be required.
- More than one position may be filled from this vacancy announcement.
SPECIALIZED EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS:
A qualified candidate's online application and resume must demonstrate at least one year of specialized experience equivalent to the next lower grade/band (NN-03 or GS-13) in the Federal service. Specialized experience for this position demonstrates mastery of comprehensive knowledge and skill in the application of foreign affairs and policies to address export controls for weapons of mass destruction-related materials, equipment and commodities and the resolution of proliferation-related issues:
- Expert knowledge of the nuclear fuel-cycle and nonproliferation issues to support implementation of export controls and interdiction programs for dual-use nuclear, chemical, biological and missile technologies to strengthen national security.
- Experience in leading large technical teams and working with complex IT systems and technical nuclear projects.
- Ability to evaluate the technical value and applicability of new or emerging technologies, strategies, trends, or applications and the associated nonproliferation impacts and convey these issues in a clear and concise manner to technical and non-technical audiences.
- Extensive experience in reviewing, developing, revising and negotiating policies and communicating multilateral export control arrangements with an emphasis on nuclear, chemical and biological weapons.
- Ability to represent the agency on nuclear export control and interdiction issues in interagency meetings or international for a or with foreign governments.
Your application and resume should demonstrate that you possess the following knowledge, skills, and abilities (KSAs). Do not provide a separate narrative written statement. Rather, you must describe in your application how your past work experience demonstrates that you possess the KSAs identified below. Cite specific examples of employment or experience contained in your resume and describe how this experience has prepared you to successfully perform the duties of this position. DO NOT write "see resume" in your application!
- Technical Competence-Comprehensive knowledge of the principles, concepts, theories, and practices of multiple engineering and physical science disciplines to include chemical, electrical, mechanical, and nuclear engineering; and/or chemistry, physics, and material science; in combination with knowledge of related fields including thermodynamics, electronics, and mathematics (Calculus).
- Oral Communication- Ability to communicate clearly and persuasively.
- Written Communication- Ability to communicate clearly and persuasively in writing.
"Experience" refers to paid and unpaid experience. Examples of qualifying unpaid experience may include: volunteer work done through National Service programs (such as Peace Corps and AmeriCorps); as well as work for other community-based philanthropic and social organizations. Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills; and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
CTAP/ICTAP candidates: To be considered "well qualified" you must meet all of the requirements as described in this section.
You must meet all qualifications and eligibility requirements by the closing date of this announcement.
801 - Degree: professional engineering. The curriculum must: (1) be in a school of engineering with at least one curriculum accredited by the Accreditation Board for Engineering and Technology as a professional engineering curriculum; or (2) include differential and integral calculus and courses (more advanced than first-year physics and chemistry) in five of the following seven areas of engineering science or physics: (a) statics, dynamics; (b) strength of materials (stress-strain relationships); (c) fluid mechanics, hydraulics; (d) thermodynamics; (e) electrical fields and circuits; (f) nature and properties of materials (relating particle and aggregate structure to properties); and (g) any other comparable area of fundamental engineering science or physics, such as optics, heat transfer, soil mechanics, or electronics. OR Combination of education and experience: college-level education, training, and/or technical experience that furnished (1) a thorough knowledge of the physical and mathematical sciences underlying professional engineering, and (2) a good understanding, both theoretical and practical, of the engineering sciences and techniques and their applications to one of the branches of engineering. There are alternate methods to meeting the engineering educational requirement (e.g., holding current professional engineering registration, having passed the EIT examination, or having completed specified academic courses or a related degree).
Please refer to the OPM Qualification Standards at Professional Engineering Positions.
1301 -A. Degree: physical science, engineering, or mathematics that included 24 semester hours in physical science and/or related engineering science such as mechanics, dynamics, properties of materials, and electronics OR Combination of education and experience - education equivalent to one of the majors shown in A above that included at least 24 semester hours in physical science and/or related engineering science, plus appropriate experience or additional education. Please refer to the OPM Qualification Standards at Physical Science Positions.
This vacancy specifically states that certain educational requirements must be met, you must provide documentation supporting any education claims in your application. Education must be obtained from an accredited institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education, see the Department of Education website.
FOREIGN EDUCATION: Applicants who have completed part or all of their education outside of the U.S. must have their foreign education evaluated by an accredited organization to ensure that the foreign education is comparable to education received in accredited educational institutions in the U.S. A written evaluation of any foreign education must be provided with your application in response to this vacancy announcement or be received by the closing date of this announcement. Failure to provide this evaluation will result in you being found unqualified for the position. For special instructions pertaining to foreign education, see the Department of Education website, and for a list of organizations that can evaluate foreign education, visit The National Association of Credential Evaluation Services.
Please Note: If your foreign education has already been accepted by an accredited U.S. educational institution as part of a degree program with that institution, you do not need to provide an evaluation of foreign education but must submit a copy of the transcripts listing the degree from the U.S. accredited institution that accepted your foreign education.
- The U.S. Department of Energy fosters a diverse and inclusive workplace and is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
- Veterans and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply. For more information, please visit the links at the bottom of this page or visit the FedsHireVets
- If you believe that you are eligible for the Inter-agency Career Transition Assistance Program (ICTAP), please visit the OPM ICTAP/CTAP website for more information. In order to be considered under the ICTAP program, your application must score within the pre-established "well qualified" category as stated in the Qualifications section.
- These positions require successful completion of a background investigation.
- All males born after December 31st 1959 must abide by laws regarding Selective Service To learn more about this law, visit the Selective Service web page, Who Must Register. If you are not registered and don't have an approved exemption, you will not be eligible for employment with the Federal government.
EEO Policy: Click HERE.
Reasonable Accommodation Policy: Click HERE.
Veterans Information: Click HERE.
Telework: Click HERE.
Selective Service Registration: Click HERE.
How You Will Be Evaluated
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above. In describing your experience, please be clear and specific. We will not make assumptions regarding your experience.
Under this Direct-Hire announcement, applicants who meet the minimum qualification requirements will be forwarded to the Selecting Official for consideration as vacancies occur at the locations specified by the applicants. Veteran's Preference, Schedule A, Category Rating, and other methods of consideration DO NOT APPLY for this announcement under Direct-Hire Authority regulations.
Selections made under this announcement will be processed as new appointments to the Competitive Service. Current Competitive Service employees would, therefore, be given new appointments to the Competitive Service. Status and Non-Status applicants from outside DOE/NNSA selected for this position may be required to serve a mandatory one (1) year probationary period, if not already completed.
If your resume is incomplete or does not support the responses in your online questionnaire, or if you fail to submit required documentation before the vacancy closes, you will be rated "ineligible" or "not qualified".
To preview questions please click here.
Background checks and security clearance
Q Access Authorization
Drug test required
Position sensitivity and risk
Critical-Sensitive (CS)/High Risk
Trust determination process
Please carefully review the following list to determine what documentation you need to submit. Some documents may not apply to all applicants. If you are unsure, click the link for each document type to read more.
ALL APPLICANTS: You must submit a resume supporting your specialized experience and responses to the online questionnaire.
- Your resume should list all work experience (paid and unpaid); you must list the full name and address of the each employer.
- For all types of work experience, you should indicate the start and end dates (include month, day, and year); you must also list the average number of hours per week that you worked.
- For paid work experience, please indicate your starting salary for each position and the highest salary you earned (if different).
- Your resume should also include any education and training you have completed (list the program title, subject area, number of hours completed, and completion date).
- For more information about what to include in your resume, please view this USAJOBS Resume Tutorial video on YouTube.
- List all incentive awards on your resume.
Educational or Professional Licence requirements are indicated for this vacancy: Documentation verifying your educational claims which can include unofficial transcripts or any report listing institution, course title, credits earned and final grade. Please see the Education section for more information. If qualifying on the basis of an alternate method, i.e., professional license, you must submit official documentation to support your claim with your application package.***Failure to provide this documentation will result in not receiving consideration for this position. ***
Veterans: veteran eligibility documentation (DD-214 Member #4 Copy, VA Letter, Standard Form (SF) 15 as applicable). Please note: If you are a veteran who has not yet been discharged, you may provide a statement of intent to discharge from your agency to receive Veterans Preference under the VOW (Veterans Opportunity to Work) to Hire Heroes Act of 2011.
Displaced Federal employees who qualify for CTAP/ICTAP: If you are a former Federal employee who was displaced due to a Reduction-in-Force (RIF) or surplused by some other means, you must submit a copy of the agency notice, your most recent performance rating, and your most recent SF-50 noting position, grade level, and duty location. To be selected under I/CTAP, you must still be found well-qualified for this position. Please see the OPM Guide to Career Transition for more information.
If you are relying on your education to meet qualification requirements:
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Therefore, provide only the attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in this vacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.
A career with the U.S. Government provides employees with a comprehensive benefits package. As a federal employee, you and your family will have access to a range of benefits that are designed to make your federal career very rewarding. Learn more about federal benefits.
The Federal Government offers a number of exceptional benefits that are unmatched by most other organizations. As a Federal employee, you will be eligible for health benefits from your choice of a wide variety of providers, long-term care insurance, generous sick and annual leave accruals with 10 paid holidays, a family-friendly work environment, flexible spending options, and a comprehensive retirement plan unparalleled by most private-industry organizations.
This link provides an overview of the benefits currently offered to Federal employees. Click here
Review our benefits
Eligibility for benefits depends on the type of position you hold and whether your position is full-time, part-time, or intermittent. Contact the hiring agency for more information on the specific benefits offered.
This position is located at the National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA), the Department of Energy’s Headquarters in Washington, DC, Office of Nuclear Export Controls (ONEC). ONEC builds U.S. and global export control capacity to detect and prevent the illicit or inadvertent transfer of nuclear and dual-use materials, equipment, and technology. The incumbent serves as the senior nuclear technical expert for ONEC's Export Control Review and Compliance/Interdiction team.
As a General Engineer/Physical Scientist, you will:
Occasional travel - Travel up to 15%.
This job is open to
Federal employees - Competitive service
Current or former competitive service federal employees.
Career transition (CTAP, ICTAP, RPL)
Federal employees who meet the definition of a "surplus" or "displaced" employee.
U.S. citizens, nationals or those who owe allegiance to the U.S.
Clarification from the agency
Direct Hire Authority Public Notice.
- Crew Member
- Cake Decorator
- Heating Engineer
- Senior Nursery Nurse - Mother and Baby Unit
- NIGHT SHIFT: GENERAL CLEANERS & TRASH/CORRUGATE
- Material Handler, Nights - Fairport
- Specialist Research Lead
- Shift Leader
- Engineering Storeman
- Customer Service Manager
- Fixed Plant Fitter
- Groundworker/ 360/ Civils Operative
- Community Care Worker
- Security Officer
- Housekeeping Team Member- 5* Residential Building
- HMS Picker
- Customer Assistant - Bakery - OVER 18
- Marriage & Family Therapist - Licensed, Psych Adult Chem Depend
- Accounting Assistant
- Business Development Executive - Recruitment
- Regional Talent Acquisition Strategy & Planning Lead, EMEA
- Part Time Support Worker
- Product Manager Lead, Operations Platform
- Cashier - MUST work weekends
- Per Diem RN II - Hospital, Medical Intensive Care Unit, Sharp Memorial Hospital
- Community Care Worker
- Shift Electricians
- Assistant General Manager
- Maintenance Coordinator
- Wait Staff/Server
- Staff Nurse
- Marriage & Family Therapist - Licensed, Intake, SMVH
- Lead Clinical Nurse - RN Sharp Memorial Hospital Acute Care 3North
- RN ICU (Intensive Care Unit) - SRN Float Full Time Night Shift
- Clinical Nurse - RN, Emergency Department, Sharp Memorial Hospital
- Clinical Nurse - RN, Medical Intensive Care Unit, Sharp Memorial Hospital
- Per Diem RN III - Hospital, Surgical Intensive Care Unit, Sharp Memorial Hospital
- Principal Demand and Capacity Planner
- Psych Social Worker - Licensed, Psychology, SMVH
- RN PCU (Progressive Care Unit) SRN Full Time Float Nights
- Medical Receptionist
- RN PCU (Progressive Care Unit) - SRN Float Full Time Night Shift
- Case Manager II, Inpt Case Management, SCMG
- Clinical Nurse - RN, Surgical Intensive Care Unit, Sharp Memorial Hospital
- Lead Clinical Nurse - RN Sharp Memorial Hospital Acute Care 6N Surgical unit
- Advanced Clinician - RN, Surgical Intensive Care Unit, Sharp Memorial Hospital
- Per Diem RN III - Hospital, Medical Intensive Care Unit, Sharp Memorial Hospital
- One Stop - Customer Service Assistant
- Patient Care Assistant, Med Surg Overflow, Nights
- Board Certified Behavior Analyst- BCBA/BCaBA- Great Pay!
- Preceptor or Specialist Clinical Psychologist Band 7/8a
- Multi Drop Delivery Driver
- Healthcare Assistant
- Commercial Property Solicitor
- Trainee Recruitment Consultant (Intern)
- Branch Manager/Sales and Operations (Construction Supply)
- Enquire to see if there is a vacancy
- Vice President - Charles River Investment Compliance
- SF0520TH - Befriender/Carer
- Key Support Worker
- Portuguese speaking Nanny in Westminster
- EMEA Senior Risk Manager, Corporate Staff and Representative Office (Principal, Enterprise Risk)
- Server I-80 Truck Stop Cafe - PT
- Community Support Worker
- Mental Health Coordinator - Full Time
- Interim Prevention Manager - London
- Information Support Analyst
- CDL A Truck Driver Needed!
- Live in or live out Nanny
- Cabinet Maker/Joiner
- Housekeeper-Nassau,Long Island
- Social Worker
- SIPS/ Timber Frame Material Take Off
- Area Cleaning Supervisor
- Night Operations Manager
- Senior Firmware Engineer
- Home Carer
- Physiotherapist- Band 6
- Low Voltage Installer
- Internship - Corporate Messaging
- Museum Curator
- Warehouse Operative
- Community Care Worker
- ECT DM; CSR; PLANNER
- Principal Maxillofacial Prosthetist / Reconstructive Scientist- Band 8a
- Highly Specialised Physiotherapist - STAR Team
- Nursery Practitioner
- Guest Advisor LOD
- Hygiene Operative
- Bank Care Assistant
- Financial Accountant – Immediate Start – WFH
- Project Manager II-Internal (00S21G)
- Residential Property Manager
- Line Cook
- Nurse Manager Bank
- Legal Cost Analyst
- Support Worker - L/D New
- Community Manager/Night Manager
- Maintenance Manager - Hands on
- Engineering Technician 5
- Lawn Maintenance
- Registered Nurse (RGN/RMN/RNLD)
- Registered Nurse
- Financial Analyst
- Construction Crew Leader
- Chief People Officer
- Behavior Technician - Milford
- Journeyman Technician Level V
- Career Pathways & Transition Coordinator
- NHS 111 Paediatric Clinical Advisor (Telephone Advice Nurse/Paramedic)
- FIRE & BUILDING CODE INSPEC 1* -04292020-8896
- Field Operations Support Assistant
- Merchandising Service Associate- PT & FT
- Acute Dialysis Registered Nurse - RN
- Production Manager
- Planning Consultant
- Long-Hour Shifts Available Immediately
- General Engineer/Physical Scientist
- Senior Care Assistant Bank
- District Sales Manager
- Fish and chip shop assistant
- Quality Controller - Chemist - Commercial Laundry
- Specialist Registrar Oncology Medicine
- Supply Chain Analyst
- Office Manager Orthodontics
- Pharmacist Manager
- Temporary Sales Associate, Retail
- Certified Nursing Assistant (CNA)
- Staff Nurse
- DIO – iHub Information Manager
- Assistant Manager (Part-Time), J.Crew Retail, Arden Fair
- Amazon In-Store Shopper (Immediate Opening) - Earn $15/hr or more
- Senior Test Analyst
- Support Worker - Swansea Shoreline
- AMHP Social Worker NEEDED
- Field Service Technician
- Pharmacist (Online Hub)
- Urgent Hire Unarmed Security Officer
- Supervising Social Worker - Independent Fostering Agency
- Substitute Clerical Positions
- Speech Language Pathologist Travel
- Behavior Technician - Louisville South