Community Health Worker
Looking for your next opportunity? If so, choose Parkland and discover what a meaningful job feels like. Whether you work directly with patients or use your talent to support our care, you’ll be part of a team that’s providing valuable health services to Dallas County residents. And here, you’ll have the opportunity to put all your skills to work, and the support to grow and advance in your job and your field. Step into a career that will make a substantial difference for our patients—and for you. We blend cultures, talents, and experience into an exemplary health and hospital system. Parkland has earned distinction as one of America’s Best Hospitals by U.S News and World Report every year since 1994.
he Community Health Worker (CHW) is responsible for assisting in delivery of services that address the social determinants of health, and bridging gap between communities, individuals and providers. Conducts community outreach and education.
- High school diploma or GED.
- Bachelor's degree is preferred.
- Must complete a PCAT program within Parkland after 24 months of hire date for Community Health Institute (CHI) only.
- Must have one (1) year experience working in a multi-cultural community setting.
- Oral fluency in Spanish is preferred.
- Knowledge of medical terminology is preferred.
Equivalent Education and/or Experience Certification/Registration/Licensure
- Must be certified by the Texas Department of State Health Services Community Health Worker (CHW) within 120 days of hire.
- Must have a current HeartSaver CPR course completion card within 90 days of hire and/or placement in job from one of the following: .
- American Heart Association
- American Red Cross
- Military Training Network
Required Tests for Placement Skills or Special Abilities
- Must display respect for patients, staff, and community members.
- Must be able to work well in a team environment.
- Must demonstrate patient centered/patient valued behaviors.
- Must be able to demonstrate receptiveness and empathy for community needs.
- Must have strong interpersonal skills and be able to communicate effectively with a diverse population of patients, family, hospital staff and community agencies both orally and in writing.
- Must be able to demonstrate critical thinking skills, and effective listening.
- Must be a quick learner. Display flexibility and problem-solving skills.
- Must be able to utilize independent judgement with minimum supervision.
- Must be able to demonstrate a working knowledge of community agencies and services available for the special needs of assigned patients.
- Must demonstrate an understanding of social risks / needs and support patients within a healthcare environment, as applicable.
- Must have the ability to manage multiple tasks at once, and be able to demonstrate excellent organization and prioritization skills.
- Must be able to willingly accept verbal and/or written direction from senior staff.
- Must maintain current continuing education and meet all job specific training requirements.
1. Collaborates with key areas within the hospital system, as well as coordinates with multiple external agencies to best serve the needs of the patient by acting as a patient advocate and liaison between the patient, care givers, healthcare team and community service agencies.
2. The CHW will serve as an extension of the health care team, and will be responsible for helping patients and their families to navigate Parkland services and access community resources to improve population health outcomes and increase patient self-sufficiency. As a priority activity the CHW will work to promote, maintain and improve the health and wellbeing of patients, as well as the community by providing public health education, follow-up, outreach, basic health services, screenings and home visits.
3. May be required to perform basic health services such as glucose screenings, blood pressure checks, and body mass index (BMI) as a means to facilitate closing gaps in care by educating patients about preventive monitoring and working with clinical teams to schedule screening/diagnostic testing.
4. Identify and assist vulnerable individuals and/or individuals with complex and unmet health needs in underserved populations who are not yet connected to the health care system, such as people living in geographically isolated locations, or individuals with language barriers by implementing care strategies to prevent health care crises, ensure consistent follow up occurs, and maintain compliance with care plans, etc.
5. Provide referrals to medical and community resources, assists with patient access to community and governmental based service agencies including help with completing applications and registration forms, as well as overcoming financial / transportation barriers to obtaining recommended care, domestic violence, housing, food insecurity, unemployment, etc. Conducts eligibility determination, enrollment and follow-up with uninsured patients.
6. Educate and encourage individuals and communities with adopting healthy behaviors; providing information on available resources; promoting preventative care and screenings, etc. Help patients set personal goals, and attend appointments as well as assists with patient care activities to include basic hygiene care, , assisting with range of motion exercises, lifting, and ambulating.
7. Engaged in ways to monitor condition of patient environment and equipment as well as learning to correct problems with the recommendations and guidance of supervisor. Implements sanitation, infection control, safety, supplies and equipment usage in daily tasks.
8. Engage in ongoing education and professional growth, with the guidance and in collaboration with the supervisor, by attending inservice sessions, department meetings, workshops, and reading magazines or journals to keep abreast of current trends in the field. Integrates knowledge gained into current work practice, with support of supervisor.
Identifies ways to improve work processes and improve customer satisfaction. Makes recommendations to supervisor, implements, and monitors results as appropriate in support of the overall goals of the department and Parkland. Stays abreast of the latest developments, advancements, and trends in the field by attending seminars/workshops, reading professional journals, actively participating in professional organizations, and/or maintaining certification or licensure. Integrates knowledge gained into current work practices. Maintains knowledge of applicable rules, regulations, policies, laws and guidelines that impact the area. Develops effective internal controls designed to promote adherence with applicable laws, accreditation agency requirements, and federal, state, and private health plans. Seeks advice and guidance as needed to ensure proper understanding.
Parkland Health and Hospital System prohibits discrimination based on age (40 or over), race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, disability, national origin, marital status, political belief, or veteran status.
- Academy Director/Assistant Academy Director - Pittsburgh
- Team Member
- Sales Ledger Account Manager and Accountancy Assistant
- VDA Estimator
- Lettings Specialist
- Sales Administration
- Contact Lens Optician - Sittingbourne
- Support Worker
- Fulfillment Team Lead
- Social Worker Transmountain Campus PRN Days at the Hosptials of Providence El Paso TX
- Content Moderation Training Coordinator, YouTube (Fixed-Term Contract)
- Rural Carrier Associate (RCA) Sun Prairie, WI
- Research Assistant
- Business Analytics & Reporting Analyst I- Default Operational Accounting
- Education/General Assignment Reporter
- Portfolio CAM
- Pitching Softball Assistant
- Banking Services Operations Associate II - Lockbox Processor
- Operations Associate IV - Default Cash Mortgage Payment
- Support Worker
- Maintenance Worker
- BOSS Program Manager
- Raw Material Technical Change Specialist
- Part Time Wine Consultant
- Administration Assistant
- Clinical Support Worker
- Maintenance Technician
- Practice Secretarial Associate -
- Resource Planner
- Head of Data Infrastructure
- Part Time Personal Shopper
- Fire Sprinkler Systems Inspector
- JUVENILE JUSTICE DETENTION OFFICER II - 80003780
- STORE MANAGER
- Infrastructure Operations Analyst
- Knowledge Management Analyst
- Construction Laborer/Carpenter
- Therapeutic Rec Asst
- Front Desk Receptionist
- Window Service Apprentice - Glenwood - Veterans Preferred
- Glenwood Springs, CO - Part Time Customer Service Specialist - #7286
- Part Time 3rd Shift Grocery Stock Clerk
- Guest Services Rep Part Time-104020
- Early Childhood - Teacher
- Quality Assurance Analyst I- Operational Accounting
- Production Clerk
- Electrical Fitter/Wireman
- Security Officer - Licenced Role
- MIU Healthcare Assistant
- Retail Sales Consultant
- Healthcare Assistant
- Retail Driver - East Ham
- Delivery Driver
- TEACHER OF TECHNOLOGY (MPS) – (one-year fixed term to meet the needs of the curriculum)
- Human Resources
- FTTP FIBRE ENGINEER
- Customer Services Advisor (Maternity Cover 12 months)
- Human Resources Manager
- Facility Support Advocate
- P/T experienced domestic cleaners needed
- Administrative Assistant
- HHS - EVS Floor Tech
- Home Care Assistant - Bicester
- Level 3 Nursery Practitioner
- Unmanned Aircraft Repair
- Customer Assistant - Café
- Multi Skilled Maintenance Engineer
- Security Team Member SIA Badge
- Sales and Service Advisor - PT & FT Positions
- Packaging Operator
- Nursery Cook
- TESTING SUPERVISORS - PAY RATE UP TO £13 PER HOUR - CAMBRIDGE
- Care Apprenticeships
- Mortgage Loan Officer
- Facilities Assistant 10352527
- English Academic Mentor | Tottenham
- Graphic Designer
- Chef de Partie
- HGV Class 1 Tramper Drivers
- Assistant Warehouse Manager
- Care Assistant - Oxford
- Senior Manager
- Paraprofessional - Part-time Weekends
- Relationship Banker (Floating Staff - North Shore)
- Maintenance Worker Skilled Nursing Facility F/T
- Direct Care Worker
- Real Estate Agent LIVE LEADS, NO DESK FEES
- Mental Health Support Worker
- Surgery Scheduling Specialist ~ Vanderbilt Eye Institute
- Social Worker - Adoption
- Junior Assistant Manager
- Store Manager Designate
- Shift Manager
- Warehouse Associate (Req 8428)
- Assistant Manager
- Physical Therapist- School Based Job ID: TA115907
- Direct Support Professional
- Clinical Psychologist
- Registered Nurse Rapid City Hospital Float Pool Full Time
- Heavy Duty Truck & Trailer Mechanic
- Operating Room RN
- Part-Time Overnight Security Officer
- Carer/Support Worker - Driving Licence Required
- To Go
- General Laborer
- Year 1 Class Teacher
- Patient Care Technician-Blank 4 Pedatric Oncology-BCH
- Physical Therapist- School Based Job ID: TA116358
- Community Teacher (Pre-K School Teacher)
- Lab Systems Administrator
- IT SPECIALIST (NETWORK)
- LOGISTICS MANAGEMENT SPECIALIST
- Customer Service Lead/Keyholder - Hastings Ranch Plaza - Carter's
- Mess Accountant
- Restaurant Shift Leader
- Team member
- Asset Manager
- Behavioral Health Technician II
- Home Inspector
- Social Services Coordinator
- Assistant Manager-Westfield Valencia Town Center
- Operating Room RN
- Operations Manager
- Psychologist- School Based Job ID: TA115903
- Chief Financial Officer (CFO) / Financial Director
- Personal Care Assistant
- General Manager
- Store Manager
- Activities and Lifestyle Facilitator
- Registered Nurse Dialysis Unit PRN Days
- Qualified Dental Nurse
- Contact Center Project Analyst
- Assistant Manager
- Field Marketing Representative - Non-Exempt
- Store Manager
- Donation-Utility Associate Trainee
- Food Service Director
- Occupational Therapist - Band 6 - Community Team
- CAMERA OPERATOR & VIDEO EDITOR
- Track Design Engineer
- Business Analyst