Lead Tax Examining Clerk
- Provide assistance on inquiries initiated by taxpayers by determining information needed to resolve inquiries, and researching pertinent tax data through internal computer systems, accounting records, telephone contact, IRS officials or other agencies;
- Take corrective actions to close a case, such as adjusting taxpayer's account, recomputing tax liability, and preparing manual refunds;
- Refer possible violations of tax law or cases requiring examination determinations or legal determinations of the tax code.
Job family (Series)
0592 Tax Examining
- Examiners, Tax
- Tax Examiners
Conditions of Employment
- Refer to Other Information.
- Click "Print Preview" to review the entire announcement before applying.
- Must be a U.S. Citizen or National.
- IRS Career/Career Conditional Employees
QualificationsYou must meet the following requirements by the closing date of this announcement:
GS-05-LEVEL: You must have 1 year of specialized experience at a level of of difficulty and responsibility equivalent to the GS-04 level in the Federal service. Specialized experience for this position includes experience that is related to the work of this position and has provided you with the competencies required for successful job performance. Examples of qualifying experience include experience performing a variety of miscellaneous tasks involving researching and processing financial documents, reviewing information and determining corrective action on accounts, researching for missing/unclear accounting information and reviewing financial documents submitted for completeness.
You may substitute education for specialized experience as follows: A Bachelor's degree or 4 years of education above high school in any field of study from an accredited college or university.
You may qualify by a combination of experience and education. Options for qualifying based on a combination will be identified in the online questions.
- The experience may have been gained in the public sector, private sector or Volunteer Service. One year of experience refers to full-time work; part-time work is considered on a prorated basis.
- To ensure full credit for your work experience, please indicate dates of employment by month/year, and indicate number of hours worked per week, on your resume.
1 position to be filled in SBSE Examination Operations Campus Examination/AUR Brookhaven
Position is located in 1040 Waverly Avenue, Holtsville, NY (NY0376)
POSITION DESCRIPTIONS 92031
A PM/C SharePoint site is available for IRS Employees at: https://organization.ds.irsnet.gov/sites/HCOETS/PMC/SPDLibrary/SitePages/Home.aspx
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
- We may select from this announcement or any other source to fill one or more vacancies.
- This is a bargaining unit position.
- Alternative work schedule, staggered work hours or telework may be available.
- Must meet IRS telework eligibility requirements
- Tour of Duty: Mon - Fri 4:30 PM 1:00 AM -
- The employment of any candidate, including a current employee or a new hire, selected for this position may be conditional upon classification and/or audit of federal tax returns. This audit may include up to 2 years of returns
How You Will Be Evaluated
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
Your application includes your resume, responses to the online questions, and required supporting documents. Please be sure that your resume includes detailed information to support your qualifications for this position; failure to provide sufficient evidence in your resume may result in a “not qualified” determination.
Rating: Your application will be evaluated in the following areas:Reading, Listening, Conscientiousness, Interpersonal Skills, Flexibility, Teamwork and Customer Service. Category rating will be used to rank and select eligible candidates. If qualified, you will be assigned to one of two quality level categories, (i.e., A/B = Best Qualified C= Qualified) depending on your responses to the online questions, regarding your experience, education, and training related to this position. Veterans' preference is applied after applicants are assessed. Preference-eligibles will be listed at the top of their assigned category and considered before non-preference-eligibles in that category. Qualified preference-eligibles with a compensable service-connected disability of 10% or more will be listed at the top of the highest category.
Referral: If you are among the top qualified candidates, your application may be referred to a selecting official for consideration. You may be required to participate in a selection interview (telephonic and/or in person at the discretion of the Selecting Official in accordance with hiring polices). We will not reimburse costs related to the interview such as travel to and from the interview site.
If you are a displaced or surplus Federal employee (eligible for the Career Transition Assistance Plan (CTAP)/Interagency Career Transition Assistance Plan (ICTAP), you must receive a rating of category A/B to be rated as “well qualified" to receive special selection priority.
To preview questions please click here.
Background checks and security clearance
Drug test required
A complete application includes 1. A resume, 2. Vacancy question responses, and 3. Submission of any required documents. Please note that if you do not provide all required information, as specified in this announcement, you will not be considered for this position (or may not receive the special consideration for which you may be eligible).
All applicants are required to submit a resume either by creating one in USAJOBS or uploading one of their own choosing. (Cover letters are optional). To receive full credit for relevant experience, please list the month/year and number of hours worked for experience listed on your resume. We suggest that you preview the online questions, as you may need to customize your resume to ensure that it supports your responses to these questions. Please view Resume Tips
VETERANS' PREFERENCE DOCUMENTATION If you are claiming veterans’ preference, you must submit a copy of your DD-214 (Member 4 copy), or other official documentation from a branch of the Armed Forces or the Department of Veterans Affairs showing dates of service and type of discharge. Ten-point preference eligibles must also submit an Application for 10-point Veteran Preference, SF-15, along with the required documentation listed on the back of the SF-15 form. For more information on veterans' preference view FedsHireVets.
Career Transition Assistance Plan (CTAP) or Interagency Career Transition Assistance Plan (ICTAP) DOCUMENTATION If you are a displaced or surplus Federal employee, click CTAP/ICTAP for eligibility and a detailed list of required documents. IRS CTAP eligibles can apply for jobs both within and outside the commuting area.
EDUCATION DOCUMENTATION: For positions with an education requirement, or if you are qualifying for this position by substituting education or training for experience, submit a copy of your transcripts or equivalent. An official transcript will be required if you are selected. A college or university degree generally must be from an accredited (or pre-accredited) college or university recognized by the U.S. Department of Education. For a list of schools which meet these criteria, please refer to Department of Education Accreditation page.
If you are qualifying based on foreign education, you must submit proof of creditability of education as evaluated by a credentialing agency. Refer to the OPM instructions.
A career with the U.S. Government provides employees with a comprehensive benefits package. As a federal employee, you and your family will have access to a range of benefits that are designed to make your federal career very rewarding. Learn more about federal benefits.
Our comprehensive benefits are very generous. Our benefits package includes:
- Challenging work, opportunities for advancement, competitive salaries, bonuses and incentive awards.
- Ten paid holidays, 13 days of sick leave, and 13 to 26 days of vacation time each year.
- Access to insurance programs that may be continued after you retire.
- A wide choice of health insurance plans, coverage for pre-existing conditions, and no waiting periods. We pay a substantial amount (up to 75%) of the health insurance premiums.
- A retirement program which includes employer-matching contributions.
- Learn more about Federal benefits programs at: Pay and benefits
Eligibility for benefits depends on the type of position you hold and whether your position is full-time, part-time, or intermittent. Contact the hiring agency for more information on the specific benefits offered.
The U.S. Department of the Treasury has a distinguished history dating back to the founding of our nation. As the steward of U.S. economic and financial systems, Treasury is a major and influential leader in today's global economy. We have over 100,000 employees across the country and around the world. Come Join the Department of the Treasury and Invest in Tomorrow.
See “Other Information” for Locations.
WHAT IS THE SMALL BUSINESS/SELF-EMPLOYED (SB/SE) DIVISION? The Small Business/Self-Employed (SB/SE) Division provides examinations and taxpayer education services for about 7 million small businesses and upwards of 33 million self-employed and supplemental income taxpayers.
WHAT DOES A TAX EXAMINING TECHNICIAN DO? IRS employs Tax Examining Technicians (TETs) in many areas throughout the Service. In the SB/SE function, TETs contact taxpayers, their representatives, and third parties to secure payment of delinquent taxes and the filing of delinquent returns. They respond to a variety of telephone contacts; analyze and resolve tax processing problems; and provide information and recommend enforcement action on all types of individual and business accounts. In the W&I function, TETs assist management by providing oversight and direction, assigning case referrals, and answering taxpayer inquiries to resolve issues such as tax processing. In the LB&I function, TETs track IDRS status and updates, internal record systems, and control over group suspension of cases awaiting Joint Committee clearance. In the TE/GE function, TETs examine and process all statute and potential statute cases, and ensure that all statutes are correct. In the CI function, TETs perform work that involves analyzing, searching, determining, and initiating appropriate actions on all types of tax issues containing conditions and account relationships that must be resolved to close issues. In the Appeals function, TETs are responsible for computing complex restricted interest, closing complex cases, and providing assistance in processing problem resolution cases to taxpayers and their representatives.
As a Tax Examining Technician, you will:
WHERE CAN I FIND OUT MORE ABOUT OTHER IRS CAREERS? If you want to find out more about IRS careers, visit us on the web at www.jobs.irs.gov
25% or less - 1 to 5 nights per month
This job is open to
U.S. citizens, nationals or those who owe allegiance to the U.S.
Clarification from the agency
- IRS Career/Career Conditional Employees
- Maintenance Mechanic - Graveyard Shift
- PHLEBOTOMIST - LAB
- Route Sales Person
- Library Assistant
- Senior Manager, Title Planning
- Showroom Advisor - Chester
- Housekeeper - Coronary Care
- Registered Nurse Recovery Room Full Time Flexible
- Part Time Retail Merchandiser
- Retail Sales Associate (part-time) - 231
- Child Support Worker
- Registered Nurse Emergency Department Full time Nights 10K Bonus for Experienced RNs
- Contract Recruiter
- TeleTherapy Services for SLP in Washington State
- Traveling LPN - Licensed Practical Nurse
- Part Time Teller - 20 Hours - Foster City Branch
- RN Case Manager Full Time Days
- Freight Stocker
- Pharmacy Technician / Pharm Tech Apprenticeship
- Skilled Trades VI - Heating Plant
- Associate Scientist #JN -082020-54879
- Occupational Therapist-73709
- Hospitality (Day)
- Lighthouse Connections Academy - School Office Manager, 2020-2021 School Year
- Part-Time Center Associate
- Program Manager
- Help Desk Specialist
- Part Time Teller - 20 Hours - San Carlos Branch
- Managed Care Specialist
- Restaurant Team Member
- General Manager
- Registered Nurse Obstetrics Full Time Nights
- Teletherapy-Speech Language Pathologist-CCC-Georgia
- Restaurant Team Member - Crew (1628 - Warrenton)
- Travel CNA- Certified Nursing Assistant
- Forklift Driver / Warehouse General Operative
- Waitress and Cashier
- Housekeeper I - Days- Full-Time
- Assistant Manager
- Office Administrator
- Curation Specialist (Contract)
- Member Service Specialist
- Receptionist/Administration Assistant
- Registered Nurse Same Day Surgery Full Time Days
- Crew Member
- Maintenance Tech (1st and 2nd Shift Positions Available)
- Communication Designer - Instagram
- International Trade Coordinator
- Laborer - Overtime, Commission and Bonuses
- Tennis Instructor
- Participant Support (Part-Time)
- Registered Nurse
- Unit Sec/Northeast Campus Freestanding ER
- Warehouse Operative - Nights (10pm-7am) - Northampton
- State Inspector/Automotive Technician - Chili
- Brand Associate
- Animal Keeper
- Sales Representative
- Respiratory Occupational Therapist
- Proactive Intelligence Officer - South West and Wales
- Shop Supervisor - Union St, Stroud
- Inside Sales Representative (7222)
- Senior Support Worker, Drop In Service, Torfaen
- Horizontal Directional Drill Locator
- Warehouse Wortker
- Physiotherapist (Rotational)
- Medical Records/Central Supply
- Experienced and Flexible Van Drivers - Must have own transport
- Senior Children's Residential Support Worker
- Housekeeping Associate (Weekends)
- Kitchen Crew
- MultiModality Technician FT Rotating at Total Care West The Hospitals of Providence Sierra Campus El Paso TX
- Grocery/ Supermarket General Store Manager
- 238375 - Medical Physicist - Radiation/Oncology
- Territory Sales Manager (Commercial Roofing)
- OFFICE MANAGER/SUPERVISOR for HOME CARE AGENCY
- Community Support Supervisor-Far Rockaway
- HGV Driver
- PRACTICE ASSISTANT I / 40 HOUR / DAY / ORTHOPEDIC SURGERY / BWH MAIN CAMPUS
- Customer Care Agent
- Clinical Engineer Tech
- Veterinary Scribe- Now Hiring! Kick Start Your Veterinarian Career!
- Kitchen Porter (Hollow Bottom, Guiting Power)
- Lab Research Associate I - Anesthesiology and Critical Care
- Correctional Security Officer III (Mack Alford Correctional Center, Stringtown)
- Lawn care worker
- Administration/Personal Assistant
- Candy Factory Worker
- Food Service Assistant 1
- Bus Driver
- Health Care Assistant
- Stock Associate, J.Crew Retail, Valley Fair
- Amazon Warehouse Assistant (Early Morning Shifts Available) - Earn $15/hr or more
- Administration Assistant
- Early Years Practitioner
- Part Time Teacher
- Nutrition Services Concierge NAR Preferred
- Staff Midwife
- Health Care Assistant/Support Worker
- RN Supervisor
- Sales Person
- Commercial Property Paralegal
- Material Handler
- Customer Service Representative - Beef Sales
- Housing Needs Assistant
- Trust Doctor (F2/StR1 level) in Trauma & Orthopaedics
- Community Care Assistant - DRIVER
- Product Manager
- Registered Nurse / Operating Department Practitioner
- ELECTRONICS SYSTEMS REPAIR INSPECTOR
- Deputy Manager - Thomas Henshaw Court, Southport, PR8
- 3rd Line IT Support Engineer
- Lecturer in Computer Science (Teaching)
- Game Engineer - C#/Unity
- HGV Driver / Valeter- Edinburgh
- Business Development Manager
- Data Entry Clerk (Night Shift 7 on 7 off)
- RCP II
- Guest Advisor (Sales Associate)
- Structural Steel Inspector
- Immediate Start Builders Cleaner
- Residential Home Cleaner
- Pest Control Technician
- Restaurant Server
- General Labourer
- Cloud DevSecOps Engineer
- Steel CAD Designer (FT)
- Domestic Cleaner/Housekeeper Part-Time
- Nursery Deputy Manager
- Night Shift Maintenance Fitter
- Lush Bromley Manager
- MSW Intern
- Sales Assistant
- Deli Associate
- Specialist MSK Physiotherapist
- Health Care Assistant (care home)
- Building Service Engineer
- Community Specialist Dietitian
- Community Care Worker STAFFORD
- Distribution Center Loss Prevention Specialist-Ontario, CA
- Registered General Nurse
- MMG Clinic LPN