Proactive Intelligence Officer - South West and Wales
We welcome and encourage applications from everyone, including groups currently underrepresented in our workforce and pride ourselves as being an employer of choice. To find out more about how we champion diversity and inclusion in the workplace, visit: https://www.gov.uk/government/organisations/ministry-of-justice/about/equality-and-diversity
Overview of the job
The job holder will act as a remote CHIS handler, supporting the establishment based handlers and will provide support to Directed Surveillance and other technical collection operations by reviewing visual and/or audio footage. The job holder is responsible for assisting and advising establishment handlers in the handling of Covert Human Intelligence Sources (CHIS) within their relevant Prison Establishments.
The job holder will work within the National Intelligence Unit, SOCT. This is a regionally based role.
This is a non-operational role which can be carried out by an operational or non-operational member of staff.
The job holder will have no line management responsibility.
The job holder provides support to establishments by providing a remote CHIS handler capability for prisons. In addition, they will provide support to Directed Surveillance/technical collection operations.
This includes drafting and submitting paperwork and logs appropriately in accordance with the Regulation of Investigatory Powers Act 2000, its associated Codes of Practice and HMPPS policy.
The job holder will liaise with and assist establishment controllers and handlers to ensure that applications, reviews and renewals demonstrate and contain the justification and lawful basis underpinning such activity.
The job holder will be required to liaise with the HMPPS Central Authorities Bureau and brief the relevant HMPPS Controller on such activity to ensure that authorities are in place where appropriate. This liaison will most often take place in conjunction with the regional Proactive Intelligence lead or manager.
The job holder will recognise the sensitivities around undertaking HMPPS and law enforcement covert activity in a prison environment and be able to liaise with LEA/Police partners particularly in relation to the use of CHIS and surveillance within Prisons.
The job holder will also be responsible for proactive CHIS recruitment campaigns across their region and will be required to provide a 24/7 on call function for urgent RIPA related issues.
Responsibilities, Activities and Duties
The job holder will be required to carry out the following responsibilities, activities and duties:
- Proactively recruit, develop, handle and task Covert Human Intelligence Sources to address the tactical and strategic intelligence requirement of prisons in their region.
- Act as a remote handler responsible for the day to day activity of the CHIS. Regular CHIS contact will include providing security and welfare advice, providing tasking to and receiving information from the source. Ensure the CHIS terms and conditions of use are adhered to.
- Review products collected via technical collection operations in accordance with RIPA, Codes of Practice and HMPPS policy.
- Act as tactical adviser and advising staff on how to maintain a professional relationship with the source.
- Advise and assist establishment staff to ensure that risk assessments and risk management plans for RIPA authorities are comprehensive, relevant and up to date.
- Ensure that all CHIS meetings/contacts are properly authorised and that appropriate authorisations for use and conduct are in place.
- Ensure the timely and accurate reporting of all information supplied by the CHIS or acquired through technical collection operations.
- Advise establishment staff to ensure that the welfare of the source is properly considered and reported on.
- Advise and ensure that sanitisation of intelligence from CHIS and technical collection operations is managed appropriately with appropriate evaluation codes and handling conditions attached, this will involve frequent discussions with establishment security governors and handlers to agree the operational response flowing from RIPA related intelligence strands.
- Immediately report (to the Controller/Regional RIPA Unit Manager) any concerns that the source is acting outwith their remit, assisting establishments in compiling potential breach reports.
- Continually monitor the potential for exposure and in particular, any liability issues that may accrue for HMPPS.
- Maintain liaison with the other key stakeholders in supporting collaborative working on covert work within prisons, establishing mutually beneficial working relationships with LEA, CT and Crime based Prison Dedicated Source Units.
- Attend intelligence tasking meetings to identify new/emerging intelligence requirements and tasking opportunities.
- Contribute to CHIS status drift registers to identify CHIS recruitment opportunities and ensure that the initial Risk Assessment Process is applied consistently and appropriately.
The duties/responsibilities listed above describe the post as it is at present and is not intended to be exhaustive. The job holder is expected to accept reasonable alterations and additional tasks of a similar level that may be necessary. Significant adjustments may require re-examination under the Job Evaluation Scheme and shall be discussed in the first instance with the job holder.
- Seeing the Big Picture
- Making Effective Decisions
- Working Together
- Managing a Quality Service
- The job holder must have good knowledge of custodial operational practice.
- The job holder must have good knowledge of the principles, legislation, rules, policies and tools of RIPA and intelligence management.
- Knowledge of Word, Excel, PowerPoint. IIS and PINS-Saadian.
- The job holder will have experience of completing intelligence reports.
- Knowledge of and attendance on appropriate courses for the following areas:
- CHIS Handlers Course
- Structured Debriefing Course
Note: This list is not exhaustive and may be subject to alteration. Applicants must successfully complete the agreed courses in order to carry out the role.
- The job holder must be vetted to SC, Strap level 2, or have the ability to achieve the required vetting. As the model develops there may be a requirement for post holders to be DV cleared.
- The job holder will possess a high standard of written
The role holder will undertake duties in relation to the Regulation of Investigatory Powers Act - working in Regional Intelligence Units on behalf of operational partners across the region to deliver intelligence operations and ensure that intelligence gathered is handled appropriately. This is a challenging, critical and rewarding role that will help enhance HMPPS’ capability to assess and respond to operational threats. The role currently requires SC clearance – potential applicants should be aware that this is under review and the role may require candidates to achieve DV clearance
We welcome your application and make every effort to include all people and embrace difference at HMPPS – whatever your background and whoever you are. It’s vital that our justice system is as diverse as the society we serve. Diversity plays an important part in our organisation and that’s why we actively encourage applications from diverse groups.
Please Note: Due to the ongoing impact of the Covid-19 pandemic we are looking to adapt our usual recruitment processes and are developing ways of working which ensures the safety of our applicants and panel members. All interviews will be held on dates to be confirmed, and likely to be conducted via video technology. Successful applicants’ appointment to positions may be slightly delayed due to the COVID -19 situation. If you have any queries in the meantime, please contact the HMPPS Recruitment team on 0845 2415358 or email [email protected]
Successful applicants will be allocated a home location at the prison listed closest to their home postcode but will be expected to travel throughout the region on a regular basis. In the event of high volumes of applicants Behaviours Making Effective Decisions and Working Together will become the dominant behaviours to be tested.
Working Arrangements & Further Information
Some of MoJ’s, including HMPPS, terms and conditions of service are changing as part of Civil Service reform. The changes will apply to staff joining MoJ who are new to the Civil Service. Staff joining MoJ from other civil service employers will transfer onto the new MoJ terms if they are already on 'modernised' terms in their current post or onto 'unmodernised' MoJ terms if they are on 'unmodernised' terms at their current post. Details will be available if an offer is made.
Standard working hours for this post are 37 hours per week excluding breaks which are unpaid.
If you are a current NPS employee, this vacancy may be available on a Loan basis for up to 2 years. Applications are invited from suitable qualified staff.
The Loan/Secondment is subject to the approval of the selected candidate's Business Unit, which should be obtained before confirmation of appointment.
Annual leave is 25 days on appointment and will increase to 30 days after ten years’ service.
There is also a scheme to allow qualifying staff to buy or sell up to three days leave each year. Additional paid time off for public holidays and 1 privilege day. Leave for part-time and job share posts will be calculated on a pro-rata basis.
Bank, Public and Privilege Holidays
You are entitled to 9 days (66 hours 36 minutes) in recognition of bank, public and privilege holidays. These hours are added to your annual leave allowance. There is a requirement to work some public and bank holidays subject to your shift pattern and the operational needs of the establishment
- The Civil Service offers a choice of two pension schemes, giving you the flexibility to choose the pension that suits you best.
Work Life Balance
- HM Prison & Probation Service (HMPPS) is keen to encourage alternative working arrangements. Work life balance provides greater opportunities for staff to work more flexibly wherever managers and establishments can accommodate requests to do so. HMPPS offers flexible working subject to completion of a satisfactory probationary period and NVQ
Season Ticket Advance
- After two months’ service, you’ll be eligible to apply for a season ticket advance to purchase a quarterly or longer-period season ticket for travel between home and your place of work
For any moves across the Civil Service may have implications on your ability to carry on claiming childcare vouchers
- HMPPS is committed to staff development and offers a range of training and development opportunities, including areas such as Equality and Diversity, Dealing with Challenging Behaviour, Suicide Prevention and Anti Bullying Programmes
- There are opportunities to access promotion programmes and HMPPS provide a variety of training appropriate to individual posts
- All staff receive security and diversity training and an individual induction programme into their new roles
- All candidates are subject to security and identity checks prior to taking up post
- All external candidates are subject to 6 months probation. Internal candidates are subject to probation if they have not already served a probationary period within HMPPS
- All staff are required to declare whether they are a member of a group or organisation which HMPPS considers to be racist
Working for the Civil Service
The Civil Service Code sets out the standards of behaviour expected of civil servants.
We recruit by merit on the basis of fair and open competition, as outlined in the Civil Service Commission's recruitment principles.
The Civil Service embraces diversity and promotes equality of opportunity.
There is a guaranteed interview scheme (GIS) for candidates with disabilities who meet the minimum selection criteria.
17/08/2020, 23:55 hours.
Success Profiles will enable a fairer and more inclusive method of recruitment by enabling us to assess the range of experiences, abilities, strengths, behaviours and technical/professional skills required for different roles. This flexible approach to recruitment focuses more on finding the right candidate for the specific role. To find out more about Success Profiles to support your application please click here for further guidance.
- PSE SALES & SVCS/DISTRIBUTION ASSOCIATE
- Environmental Service Aide I / 30 hours / Evenings
- ADMINISTRATIVE COORDINATOR 2/3 OWC HEARINGS
- To Go
- Assistant in Training
- Release Manager
- Sterile Process Aide
- Operations Account Associate, CastleGate Operations Team
- Multi Drop Parcel Delivery Driver
- Memory Support Specialist
- Back of House - Kitchen
- Food Service/Bakery Deli Manager
- 919-BA-34549531-EXT Secretariat Scientist/Epidemiologist
- RURAL CARR ASSOC/SRV REG RTE
- In Home Sales Expert
- Call Center Agent
- Part-Time Sales Teammate
- Human Resources Specialist (Recruitment and Placement)
- Meat Manager
- TEAM LEADER - Jack in the Box
- PSE SALES & SVCS/DISTRIBUTION ASSOCIATE
- Store Manager
- Account Executive
- BHSCT _ Health Visiting Manager Band 8A
- CITY CARRIER ASSISTANT
- Medical Administrative Assistant II- Longwood- 40 hrs
- Caretaker / House Keeper
- Front of House - Server
- SUPPORT WORKER
- Kitchen Porter
- Leader In Training
- Part-Time Retail Merchandiser - Portage, MI
- Hotel Laundry Attendant Full Time
- Eugene HVRP - Outreach Worker
- PROGRAM ANALYST
- Part-Time Retail Merchandiser - Lee's Summit, MO
- 7.5T Drivers Needed – up to £14.25 (Coventry)
- Dockworker Part Time AM Sundays required
- Store Sales Associate– Part Time – Kalamazoo/Portage Mi. ARC#20-12
- Universal Banker
- Host / Hostess
- Clerk/Cashier Customer Service
- Host/Busser/Food Runner
- Food Server/Bartender
- Personal Banker I
- Stock Associate – Cashier
- OPERATIONS ASSISTANT MANAGER
- Contact Center Specialist
- Human Resources Manager
- Composite Trimmer
- Risk Management Associate - Liens/Listing Agreement Review - St. Edward, NE
- Software Engineer Mid-Level
- Trading Assistant
- Treasury Analyst - 6 month FTC
- Commercial Service Rep
- Customer Service
- Pensions Administrator
- Digital /Technical Product Manager -Senior Level
- Assistant Professor - Pulmonary Diseases & Critical Care Medicine
- Part-Time Store Associate
- Customer Service / Sales Advisor
- Data Scientist
- Assistant Store Manager
- Mental Health Recovery Support Worker - Bradford
- Deli Clerk- SHOPPERS Food & Pharmacy ( Silver Hill- Maryland)
- Telemetry Technician
- Personal Assistant
- Part-Time Customer Service Representative - Work from Home
- Scaffolding Labourer
- Retail Sales Associate (Temecula)
- CNA - Certified Nursing Assistant
- Wheelchair Escort/Customer Service - $9/hr + TIPS
- Business Applications Analyst Senior
- DIRECTOR FOR GENERAL OB-GYN DIVISION
- Registered Nurse - RN -Emergency Room - ER
- Facilities Support Worker - Housekeeping
- Graduate SEN Teaching Assistant
- Multi Drop Delivery Driver
- Passionate Care Assistants - feel valued
- Retail Stocking Associate
- Teaching Assistant
- Commissioning Manager
- Team Member
- Daycare Teacher
- Christmas Casual
- Security Guard (Unarmed)
- Health Technician (Optometry)
- Seasonal Part Time Sales Consultant
- PSE SALES & SVCS/DISTRIBUTION ASSOCIATE
- Software Engineer Mid-Level
- Lead Data Engineer
- Experienced Healthcare Assistant
- Trainee Welder Fabricator
- Nurse - £2000 Welcome bonus
- Talent Acquisition Intern
- Intake Coordinator
- Board Certified Behavior Analyst - BCBA
- Office Staff
- Water / Sewer Distribution Superintendent
- Receptionist - State Farm Agent Team Member
- Restaurant Team Member - 14301 S.P.I.D. - Flour Bluff - THE ISLAND (Corpus Christi, TX) - Unit # 376
- Associate Account Executive, Management Liability
- 1st Shift Production Supervisor
- Cashier Job
- Staff Accountant
- Communications Manager
- Rest Area Caretaker (I75 Piqua)
- Building Custodian
- Financial Advisor (Looking for Career Changers)
- Restaurant Team Member- IH 10 W and Ralph Fair Rd (San Antonio, TX) - Unit # 1101
- Senior Underwriter/Underwriter - Property
- Holiday Store Clerk ( 4:00 PM to 11:00 PM availability)
- Registered Nurse RN Intensive Care ICU PCU
- Customer Service Representative
- Registered Nurse
- Warehouse/Shopper Team Member
- Banking Services Analyst III - Closing & Collateral
- Committee Secretary
- Shop Assistant/Autobody Parts Helper/Parts Assistant/Parts Runner - Cuyahoga Falls
- Unit Supply Specialist, Army
- Lead Decision Support Analyst
- Enquiries, Complaints and Compliments Coordinator (25 hrs per week)
- Warehouse Associate
- Assistant Manager
- FOH Team Member
- Academic Dean
- Management Information Specialist
- Sales Advisor
- Support Worker
- Delivery Driver Medical Equipment
- Delivery Driver
- Janitor - Branford, FL
- Teacher of English - Secondary
- Assistant General Manager Salary
- Guest Experience Specialist (Sales Associate)
- Supervisory Criminal Investigator
- SUPERVISORY PRODUCTION CONTROLLER
- COMMUNITY MANAGER INTERN
- HME Supply Tech AL, (drives,delivers/setup medical equipment), FT 9a-6p, hol&wkd rotation- HME Mphs
- Registered Nurse
- Colaborador/a de Almacén Full Time (Temporal), IKEA Carolina.
- Graduate Building Surveyor
- Copay Assistant Coordinator
- Chassis Insulator (1st shift, 4:45am