Senior Support Worker, Cardiff Solutions Service (15 hours)
The Wallich is a homelessness charity delivering innovative housing and support services to homeless and vulnerably housed people. The Organisation formed in 1978 in Cardiff and now supports around 8000 people a year across Wales. Our work falls into four principal areas:
1. Residential supported housing projects, including direct access hostels, emergency night shelters and accommodation for people with specific issues such as substance misuse, youth services etc.
2. Floating (Tenancy) support projects in which we support people who have tenancy difficulties, sometimes with a contributing health or other need, and are in danger of losing their homes.
3. Prevention or intervention projects supplied through Homelessness Prevention Grant funding which are a broad range of services that prevent homelessness or make life better for homeless people.
4. Participation and Progression services, which are embedded in all our projects enhancing support through providing opportunities for Service Users to take an active part in their community. These services include those designed to enable people to move into meaningful activities including employment and training opportunities.
The Wallich's values are of empowerment and treating people with dignity, respect and an unconditional positive regard. The principles of our work are based around solution focused working, harm reduction, and the creation of an environment where the people we support are actively and meaningfully encouraged to be involved in their support, and the development and delivery of services.
Purpose of Role
To coordinate and provide support that enables and empowers Service Users to address housing and/or personal difficulties, needs, build their skills and confidence, and ultimately improve their ability to access and maintain accommodation. The support provided will not create or increase dependence. It will ‘do with’ rather than ‘do for’, so it’s likely that support will sometimes involve accompanying Service Users initially, in order to familiarise them with an activity or appointment. Support will help people improve their control, understanding and involvement in dealing with the issues that affect them, and assist Service Users to achieve their preferred outcomes.
This post is subject to an enhanced DBS Disclosure.
Main Duties, Responsibilities and Person Profile
Main Duties and Responsibilities
1. To locate, identify and work with people who are rough sleeping, homeless or vulnerably housed and whose personal problems may exacerbate their situation, and to support these people in addressing their individual support issues and needs.
a) To ensure that Service Users are aware of the mission, aims and objectives, policies and procedures of the projects and the duties, responsibilities and obligations of staff.
b) To ensure that all Service Users are treated fairly and afforded equality of opportunity.
c) To manage referrals according to the procedures and eligibility criteria of the project.
d) To ensure that Service Users’ needs are met through the consistent application of the Wallich’s model of support.
e) To manage a Service User caseload via the Solution service with particular reference to:
i) Coordinating and carrying out needs and risk assessments and developing risk management plans.
ii) Coordinating and providing project inductions to all new Service Users.
iii) Identifying the goals and aspirations of Service Users and developing outcome focused support plans.
iv) Coordinating the day to day tasks and activities of Service Users support plans.
v) Applying various conversational skill sets to the benefit of the Service User.
vi) Providing information, advice and guidance that enable Service users to make informed decisions about their needs and support.
vii) Ensuring that Service Users have a means of expressing their views and that this expression receives appropriate consideration.
ix) Actively involving Service Users in their support, the project and/or organisation.
x) Making referrals to and liaising with relevant agencies and individuals with or on behalf of Service Users.
xi) Coordinating and carrying out the reviewing of needs, risk and support plans in line with procedure.
xii) Coordinating and carrying out the monitoring of Service User’s progress by assessing levels of control, understanding and involvement in working towards their goals.
xii) Representing and advocating with/for Service Users.
xiii) Where applicable ensuring that a planned service withdrawal is incorporated into support ensuring sign-off is realistic, manageable and controlled.
f) To maintain accurate and up to date records of every aspect of Service Users’ issues and support according to procedure.
g) To ensure that the service standards set out in the organisational document ‘Great Expectations’ are met or exceeded.
2. To supervise and mentor an allocated number of volunteers.
a) To provide regular supervision to allocated volunteers in line with The Wallich Supervision Policy.
b) To mentor volunteers providing hands on experience in a safe environment.
c) To agree with volunteers any development needs and take appropriate measures to action these.
d) To monitor work done by volunteers and to ensure that duties and responsibilities are fulfilled and obligations are met.
e) To ensure that the volunteers have a consistent understanding of the mission, values, aims, objectives and policies and procedures of the project.
3. To assist in monitoring the effectiveness of the projects ensuring objectives and targets are met.
a) To meet the monitoring requirements of funding streams and other commissioners.
b) To assist managers with gathering quantitative and qualitative information relating to objectives and targets.
c) To ensure that records of Service Users accessing the service are maintained.
d) To provide statistics and other information as requested by managers.
4. To assist in the overall running of the project
a) To work in line with all Wallich policies and procedures.
b) To participate in own supervision.
c) To undertake relevant training.
d) To represent The Wallich at relevant external meetings.
e) To liaise with relevant bodies – Housing Associations, support agencies etc. – as appropriate and as the organisation’s representative.
f) To develop links with voluntary and statutory bodies in furtherance of the organisation’s work and for the benefit of the Service User.
g) To report to manager regularly informing him/her of issues arising during the course of the work that require policy decisions.
h) To ensure adequate administrative records are kept.
i) To ensure the maintenance of good standards of cleanliness, hygiene and adherence to Health and Safety regulations.
j) To take part in any aspects of lone working as directed by the policy.
k) To partake in a team handover where applicable.
l) To undertake other duties within the remit of the post.
m) To participate in RSIT duties when required.
a) To partake in rota and on call system as required.
b) To work and travel across Cardiff.
a) Knowledge and understanding of current Homelessness Law, the Criminal Justice System and DWP Benefits and resettlement options.
b) Knowledge and understanding of the current welfare changes and the potential implications to housing related support and vulnerable people.
c) Knowledge and understanding of substance misuse and its effects on people, their families and their communities.
d) Knowledge and understanding of how complex needs including mental health can affect individuals and their vulnerability.
e) Knowledge and understanding of the current legal frameworks within which you are expected to work (e.g. POVA, Children’s Act, Mental Health Act, Health and Safety at Work Act, Misuse of Drugs Act).
f) Knowledge and understanding of the need to evidence outcomes and the connection with future funding.
a) Experience of working with individuals with complex needs.
b) Experience of housing related support or homelessness (this can be from a personal perspective).
c) Experience of completing needs and risks assessments.
d) Experience of planning and delivering support.
e) Experience of monitoring and recording systems.
f) Experience of working with volunteers is desirable.
a) Driving licence and own vehicle is essential.
b) Ability to communicate in Welsh is desirable but not essential.
Interview date: 11th August 2020
Please note: Due to the on-going COVID-19 situation The Wallich are currently undertaking interviews via video calling. We will be keeping this under constant review and hope to be able to commence standard interviewing again soon.
- Showroom Advisor - Chester
- Library Assistant
- Senior Manager, Title Planning
- Contact Centre Claims Agent
- Total Life Safety Account Representative
- Auto Parts Delivery Driver (Part-Time)
- SATURDAY PROFESSIONAL VIEWER - DIDSBURY
- Court Marshall
- Sales Administrator
- Nursing Home Administrator
- Help Desk Specialist
- Retail Trainee Manager - Marlborough
- Retail Administrative Support Team, Full Time: Bay Plaza
- IT Business Analyst
- Manager of Business Operations
- Court Usher
- Customer Service Advisor
- Roaming Sous Chef
- Maths Teacher
- Costs Draftsman
- Sales Associate - Retail
- Part Time Administration Officer
- Community Physiotherapist
- Dir Facilities
- Registered Children Home Manager
- Administration Assistant
- Retail Sales Associate (Part-Time)
- Packaging Associate
- General Operative/Drivers Mate
- Team Leader - Legal
- Claims Handler - Evenings and weekends
- District Liaison
- Office Administrator / Electronic Monitoring Officer -Domiciliary Care
- Protection Advisors - Commission Based
- Trainee Payroll Executive
- Extrusion Press Operator
- Picture Editor
- SAS Part Time Travel Reset Merchandiser
- Back Office Cashiering - Administrative Assistant II, Customer Service Representative (DC)
- Sports Duty Manager
- Apprentice Learning Support Assistant
- Senior Legal Negotiator
- Childcare Solicitor
- TEFL Teacher
- General Laborer
- Interior Technician
- Kitchen Design Specialist
- Employment Solicitor
- International Trade Coordinator
- Tennis Instructor
- Laborer - Overtime, Commission and Bonuses
- Participant Support (Part-Time)
- Warehouse Operative - Nights (10pm-7am) - Northampton
- Unit Sec/Northeast Campus Freestanding ER
- State Inspector/Automotive Technician - Chili
- Brand Associate
- Shop Supervisor - Union St, Stroud
- Animal Keeper
- Sales Representative
- Respiratory Occupational Therapist
- Proactive Intelligence Officer - South West and Wales
- Inside Sales Representative (7222)
- Senior Support Worker, Drop In Service, Torfaen
- Horizontal Directional Drill Locator
- Warehouse Wortker
- Physiotherapist (Rotational)
- Experienced and Flexible Van Drivers - Must have own transport
- Grocery/ Supermarket General Store Manager
- Medical Records/Central Supply
- Senior Children's Residential Support Worker
- Housekeeping Associate (Weekends)
- MultiModality Technician FT Rotating at Total Care West The Hospitals of Providence Sierra Campus El Paso TX
- Kitchen Crew
- 238375 - Medical Physicist - Radiation/Oncology
- Territory Sales Manager (Commercial Roofing)
- Community Support Supervisor-Far Rockaway
- OFFICE MANAGER/SUPERVISOR for HOME CARE AGENCY
- HGV Driver
- Customer Care Agent
- Clinical Engineer Tech
- Veterinary Scribe- Now Hiring! Kick Start Your Veterinarian Career!
- Lab Research Associate I - Anesthesiology and Critical Care
- Kitchen Porter (Hollow Bottom, Guiting Power)
- Administration Assistant
- Correctional Security Officer III (Mack Alford Correctional Center, Stringtown)
- Maintenance Mechanic - Graveyard Shift
- Lawn care worker
- Administration/Personal Assistant
- Business Development Representative
- Bus Driver
- Stock Associate, J.Crew Retail, Valley Fair
- Candy Factory Worker
- Nursing Assistant-Post Surgical
- Health Care Assistant
- Amazon Warehouse Assistant (Early Morning Shifts Available) - Earn $15/hr or more
- Food Service Assistant 1
- Early Years Practitioner
- Part Time Teacher
- Nutrition Services Concierge NAR Preferred
- Staff Midwife
- Health Care Assistant/Support Worker
- RN Supervisor
- Commercial Property Paralegal
- Customer Service Representative - Beef Sales
- Trust Doctor (F2/StR1 level) in Trauma & Orthopaedics
- Community Care Assistant - DRIVER
- Product Manager
- Registered Nurse / Operating Department Practitioner
- ELECTRONICS SYSTEMS REPAIR INSPECTOR
- Deputy Manager - Thomas Henshaw Court, Southport, PR8
- 3rd Line IT Support Engineer
- Lecturer in Computer Science (Teaching)
- Game Engineer - C#/Unity
- HGV Driver / Valeter- Edinburgh
- Business Development Manager
- Data Entry Clerk (Night Shift 7 on 7 off)
- RCP II
- Structural Steel Inspector
- Immediate Start Builders Cleaner
- Residential Home Cleaner
- Pest Control Technician
- Restaurant Server
- General Labourer
- Cloud DevSecOps Engineer
- Steel CAD Designer (FT)
- Domestic Cleaner/Housekeeper Part-Time
- Nursery Deputy Manager
- Night Shift Maintenance Fitter
- Lush Bromley Manager
- MSW Intern
- Sales Assistant
- Communication Designer - Instagram
- Specialist MSK Physiotherapist
- Deli Associate
- Health Care Assistant (care home)
- Building Service Engineer
- Community Specialist Dietitian
- Distribution Center Loss Prevention Specialist-Ontario, CA
- Community Care Worker STAFFORD
- Registered General Nurse
- Medical Translator ONSITE!
- MMG Clinic LPN
- Customer Service Associate
- Passionate Pet Expert Needed