Senior Support Worker, Cardiff Solutions Service
The Wallich is a homelessness charity delivering innovative housing and support services to homeless and vulnerably housed people. The Organisation formed in 1978 in Cardiff and now supports around 8000 people a year across Wales. Our work falls into four principal areas:
1. Residential supported housing projects, including direct access hostels, emergency night shelters and accommodation for people with specific issues such as substance misuse, youth services etc.
2. Floating (Tenancy) support projects in which we support people who have tenancy difficulties, sometimes with a contributing health or other need, and are in danger of losing their homes.
3. Prevention or intervention projects supplied through Homelessness Prevention Grant funding which are a broad range of services that prevent homelessness or make life better for homeless people.
4. Participation and Progression services, which are embedded in all our projects enhancing support through providing opportunities for Service Users to take an active part in their community. These services include those designed to enable people to move into meaningful activities including employment and training opportunities.
The Wallich's values are of empowerment and treating people with dignity, respect and an unconditional positive regard. The principles of our work are based around solution focused working, harm reduction, and the creation of an environment where the people we support are actively and meaningfully encouraged to be involved in their support, and the development and delivery of services.
Purpose of Role
To coordinate and provide support that enables and empowers Service Users to address housing and/or personal difficulties, needs, build their skills and confidence, and ultimately improve their ability to access and maintain accommodation. The support provided will not create or increase dependence. It will ‘do with’ rather than ‘do for’, so it’s likely that support will sometimes involve accompanying Service Users initially, in order to familiarise them with an activity or appointment. Support will help people improve their control, understanding and involvement in dealing with the issues that affect them, and assist Service Users to achieve their preferred outcomes.
This post is subject to an enhanced DBS Disclosure.
Main Duties, Responsibilities and Person Profile
Main Duties and Responsibilities
1. To locate, identify and work with people who are rough sleeping, homeless or vulnerably housed and whose personal problems may exacerbate their situation, and to support these people in addressing their individual support issues and needs.
a) To ensure that Service Users are aware of the mission, aims and objectives, policies and procedures of the projects and the duties, responsibilities and obligations of staff.
b) To ensure that all Service Users are treated fairly and afforded equality of opportunity.
c) To manage referrals according to the procedures and eligibility criteria of the project.
d) To ensure that Service Users’ needs are met through the consistent application of the Wallich’s model of support.
e) To manage a Service User caseload via the Solution service with particular reference to:
i) Coordinating and carrying out needs and risk assessments and developing risk management plans.
ii) Coordinating and providing project inductions to all new Service Users.
iii) Identifying the goals and aspirations of Service Users and developing outcome focused support plans.
iv) Coordinating the day to day tasks and activities of Service Users support plans.
v) Applying various conversational skill sets to the benefit of the Service User.
vi) Providing information, advice and guidance that enable Service users to make informed decisions about their needs and support.
vii) Ensuring that Service Users have a means of expressing their views and that this expression receives appropriate consideration.
ix) Actively involving Service Users in their support, the project and/or organisation.
x) Making referrals to and liaising with relevant agencies and individuals with or on behalf of Service Users.
xi) Coordinating and carrying out the reviewing of needs, risk and support plans in line with procedure.
xii) Coordinating and carrying out the monitoring of Service User’s progress by assessing levels of control, understanding and involvement in working towards their goals.
xii) Representing and advocating with/for Service Users.
xiii) Where applicable ensuring that a planned service withdrawal is incorporated into support ensuring sign-off is realistic, manageable and controlled.
f) To maintain accurate and up to date records of every aspect of Service Users’ issues and support according to procedure.
g) To ensure that the service standards set out in the organisational document ‘Great Expectations’ are met or exceeded.
2. To supervise and mentor an allocated number of volunteers.
a) To provide regular supervision to allocated volunteers in line with The Wallich Supervision Policy.
b) To mentor volunteers providing hands on experience in a safe environment.
c) To agree with volunteers any development needs and take appropriate measures to action these.
d) To monitor work done by volunteers and to ensure that duties and responsibilities are fulfilled and obligations are met.
e) To ensure that the volunteers have a consistent understanding of the mission, values, aims, objectives and policies and procedures of the project.
3. To assist in monitoring the effectiveness of the projects ensuring objectives and targets are met.
a) To meet the monitoring requirements of funding streams and other commissioners.
b) To assist managers with gathering quantitative and qualitative information relating to objectives and targets.
c) To ensure that records of Service Users accessing the service are maintained.
d) To provide statistics and other information as requested by managers.
4. To assist in the overall running of the project
a) To work in line with all Wallich policies and procedures.
b) To participate in own supervision.
c) To undertake relevant training.
d) To represent The Wallich at relevant external meetings.
e) To liaise with relevant bodies – Housing Associations, support agencies etc. – as appropriate and as the organisation’s representative.
f) To develop links with voluntary and statutory bodies in furtherance of the organisation’s work and for the benefit of the Service User.
g) To report to manager regularly informing him/her of issues arising during the course of the work that require policy decisions.
h) To ensure adequate administrative records are kept.
i) To ensure the maintenance of good standards of cleanliness, hygiene and adherence to Health and Safety regulations.
j) To take part in any aspects of lone working as directed by the policy.
k) To partake in a team handover where applicable.
l) To undertake other duties within the remit of the post.
m) To participate in RSIT duties when required.
a) To partake in rota and on call system as required.
b) To work and travel across Cardiff.
a) Knowledge and understanding of current Homelessness Law, the Criminal Justice System and DWP Benefits and resettlement options.
b) Knowledge and understanding of the current welfare changes and the potential implications to housing related support and vulnerable people.
c) Knowledge and understanding of substance misuse and its effects on people, their families and their communities.
d) Knowledge and understanding of how complex needs including mental health can affect individuals and their vulnerability.
e) Knowledge and understanding of the current legal frameworks within which you are expected to work (e.g. POVA, Children’s Act, Mental Health Act, Health and Safety at Work Act, Misuse of Drugs Act).
f) Knowledge and understanding of the need to evidence outcomes and the connection with future funding.
a) Experience of working with individuals with complex needs.
b) Experience of housing related support or homelessness (this can be from a personal perspective).
c) Experience of completing needs and risks assessments.
d) Experience of planning and delivering support.
e) Experience of monitoring and recording systems.
f) Experience of working with volunteers is desirable.
a) Driving licence and own vehicle is essential.
b) Ability to communicate in Welsh is desirable but not essential.
Interview date: 11th August 2020
Please note: Due to the on-going COVID-19 situation The Wallich are currently undertaking interviews via video calling. We will be keeping this under constant review and hope to be able to commence standard interviewing again soon.
- Tennis Instructor
- Proactive Intelligence Officer - South West and Wales
- Kitchen Crew
- Lab Research Associate I - Anesthesiology and Critical Care
- Lawn care worker
- Golf Course Maintenance
- UI/UX Design Intern
- Registered Respiratory Therapist - Pediatric Intensive Care - (RRT - PICU)
- Associate Veterinarian
- Registered Respiratory Therapist - (RRT)
- Canvassing Manager
- Subway Sandwich Artist®
- Physiotherapist (Rotational)
- School Drum Instructor
- HVAC Counter Sales I
- Sr. Radiology Student - Children's Radiology - PRN
- Pizza Maker/Cashier
- Property Manager - The Greens at Logan Field
- Bus Driver
- Vacation Homes Housekeeper
- Business Development Manager
- Radiologic Technologist - Full-Time
- Office Administrative Assistant / Bookkeeping
- Pet Care Specialist
- MultiModality Technician FT Rotating at Total Care West The Hospitals of Providence Sierra Campus El Paso TX
- Registered Respiratory Therapist - Pediatric - (RRT - Peds - Pedi)
- Outside Sales Representative
- Warehouse Wortker
- Part Time Night Trash Collector
- To Go
- Scheduling/Closing Coordinator
- Part Time Retail Sales Consultant
- HVAC Counter Sales I
- Care & Support Worker
- Landscape Foreman
- Locum Band 6 CPN – Romford, Essex
- Candy Factory Worker
- Teaching Assistant
- Crew Leader, Landscape and Learning
- Dispatch Coordinator I
- Business Intelligence - Information Analyst
- Customer Logistics Supervisor
- Virtual Tax Associate
- Staff Nurse
- Full and part time shifts available: 8 am -6 pm or 12 pm - 6 pm
- Customer Service Advisor
- Specialist MSK Physiotherapist
- Distribution Center Loss Prevention Specialist-Ontario, CA
- Assistant, Brand Image Marketing
- Communication Designer - Instagram
- Grill Cook/Line Cook
- Admin Coordinator- Periop
- Warehouse Operative - Nights (10pm-7am) - Northampton
- Purchasing Agent
- Unit Sec/Northeast Campus Freestanding ER
- Fulfillment Center Operations Management Internship (Undergraduate & Graduate Students) (Woodland, California)
- RN (Home Health), Wake Cocunty, PRN/PT
- QA Operations Facilitator (QA Supervisor)
- Kitchen Associate - #66
- Claims Handler
- Registered Nurse
- House Cleaning Superstar
- Warehouse Supervisor - RBG
- Overnight Bell/Valet Attendant
- State Inspector/Automotive Technician - Chili
- Quality Test Engineer – Automation
- Sales Representative
- Respiratory Occupational Therapist
- Sales Professional
- Clinical Nurse I - Home Health - Premium Weekend
- Part Time 20 HR Associate Banker Chagrin Falls (210010430)
- Jewelry Sales Professional
- Advantage Resourcing- Putnam CT
- Experienced and Flexible Van Drivers - Must have own transport
- Territory Sales Manager (Commercial Roofing)
- Senior Support Worker, Drop In Service, Torfaen
- Digital Content Specialist
- Benefit Plan Configuration Specialist
- Front Office Supervisor - Kimpton Schofield Hotel
- Custom framer
- Grocery/ Supermarket General Store Manager
- Necropsy Technician 1
- Senior Children's Residential Support Worker
- Wireless - Retail Sales Associate W5030
- Foreclosure Support Specialist I - Foreclosure Quotes
- Radiologic Technologist
- Customer Care Agent
- Chemotherapy Prep Technician
- PRACTICE ASSISTANT I / 40 HOUR / DAY / ORTHOPEDIC SURGERY / BWH MAIN CAMPUS
- HGV Class 2 Driver
- Remote Medical Work
- Activities Assistant
- Production Employee - Soil Receiving, Truck Unloading
- Bancorp Collateral Control Specialist II
- Shift Leader
- Laboratory Technician
- Associate Linguist
- To Go
- Information Technology Internal Auditor
- Parcel Sorter
- Part-time Sales Associate
- Business Banking Representative
- Registered General Nurse (RGN)
- ABA Therapists Needed - Experience Preferred!
- Artificial grass installer/Landscaper
- Senior University Talent Acquisition Manager, North America
- Relief Security Officer
- Medical Laboratory Technician (FT)
- Early Years Practitioner
- Care Team Leader - Lifeways - Supported Living - SR5
- Operations Assistant
- MUNICIPAL COURTS SECURITY OFFICER
- Part Time Teacher
- Visual Associate, J.Crew Factory, Bergen Town Center Womens
- Production Employee - Stockroom & Inventory Control
- Administrative Assistant
- San Marcos-General Manager-Hiring Now-Jack in the Box
- Business Strategy Optimization Analyst
- Front of house - Bar & Waiting staff
- Nutrition Services Concierge NAR Preferred
- Audit Staff 2
- Customer Emergency Dispatcher
- Staff Midwife
- Health Care Assistant/Support Worker
- Deputy Jailer- Richmond County Sheriff's Office
- Assistant Manager
- Plumber Apprentice, Plumber
- RN Supervisor
- Community Engagement Manager
- Qualified Electrician
- Night Support Worker - St Johns House
- Support Worker
- Warehouse Operative
- Customer Service Associate
- Business Office Manager (BOM)